Thread: Shouldn't pack, can't take.

Default Shouldn't pack, can't take.

Hi all!

Sorry if I'm repeating questions asked before, but I've not found answers on the forum..

We had a rep from (on behalf of) Crown round yesterday, and two things she said which I take exception to and could do with backup -

1) We can't pack any alcohol in our container.

I've looked this up on t' web and this seems to be nonsense - we can take alcohol, ideally a mix of bottles/types etc, as long as it's not for sale. We have a well stocked booze pantry which we drink very slowly, and a good few bottles of home-made sloe gin, rhubarb vodka and other goodies which we'd like to take over. It's that or have a very, very silly party before we leave.

2) We MUSTN"T pack anything ourselves as MAF don't like it at all, oh no. Again, this seems like nonsense.

Any opinions?

I should add re point 2), I can understand why it might not be desirable re insurance etc, but surely if everything is properly detailed, noted, boxes marked etc, there shouldn't be a problem? We don't actually intend to do the packing ourselves, but being told NO! by suppliers does get my back up...

You can take alcohol - Crown provides a form for this- but be prepared to pay duty on it. We decided not to as we did not have space.

For point 2- it's not so much MAF as you wont be covered on insurance for stuff that is owner packed. MAF could be more interested in boxes packed by you (why did you not want the packers to do it? would be the reasoning).

Ta,

We went with Crown and brought Alcohol over no problems.Also check this old thread

http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11226

I'm reliably informed that you can bring "Sloe Gin" but as your moving to Rangiora there is a duty to be paid. Local law is that all imported sloe gin must past the stringent quality tests. These are performed just outside Rangiora and I await your application for you gin to be tested.

I'm sorry but that is nonsense. Perhaps that's how Crown prefers to do it but their reasoning is nonsense.
    I didn't use a moving company. I packed every box myself and packed my container myself. MAF had no problems with that and the men who de-vanned my container at the port let me take the stuff (and they helped us load it onto the moving van) that wasn't being inspected before the MAF inspector even arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by benandclare View Post
    I'm reliably informed that you can bring "Sloe Gin" but as your moving to Rangiora there is a duty to be paid. Local law is that all imported sloe gin must past the stringent quality tests. These are performed just outside Rangiora and I await your application for you gin to be tested.

You can take alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by benandclare View Post
    Aye, ok, I'll find the form online and get it filled out and sent to you. There better not be a bloody admin fee (other than a liquid one)....

yes you can as long as they are unopened crown are doing it to save their skins should the box break, MAF are only concerned if you are bringing 100's of bottles, we brought about 20 bottles had no problem. I would not use Crown personally as I had a bad experience with them, lots of the reps say things like oh you can not bring wicker, garden furniture what ever suits but its rubbish what they do not want is to have a large maf inspection