Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: OMG Robbery!!!! $20 for a pack of cigarettes!!!

"In other countries if you smoke, you pay more for health care so as not to burden non-smokers. There goes that healthcare system argument."

Really? How do you propose implementing that in NZ?

"Taxing things to death doesn't prevent usage, that is proven by history."

Actually, just the opposite is proven in study after study. Taxing a product curbs usage. Ask the tobacco companies why they fight taxes tooth and nail. Is it because they care about their consumers?

And, unfortunately, smoking residue is toxic so it's not just you deciding to hurt yourself.

And yes, I can read.

Quote Originally Posted by jawnbc View Post
    Comparing smoking regulation to the HOLOCAUST? Are you out of your mind, insensitive, or stoopid?
    Leave it to a Canadian!

confused.com

Quote Originally Posted by jawnbc View Post
    On your first point I challenge you to name one social democracy that charges more for health care to smokers. NZ is a social democracy, unlike the states.

On your second point you're simply wrong: increases in cigarette taxes are arguably the MOST effective means of getting people to quit.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hc-ps/pubs/to...teurs3-eng.php
    I should have scrolled down and read this. Sorry to repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwieagle View Post
    "In other countries if you smoke, you pay more for health care so as not to burden non-smokers. There goes that healthcare system argument."
    Really? How do you propose implementing that in NZ?

"Taxing things to death doesn't prevent usage, that is proven by history."
    Actually, just the opposite is proven in study after study. Taxing a product curbs usage. Ask the tobacco companies why they fight taxes tooth and nail. Is it because they care about their consumers?
    And, unfortunately, smoking residue is toxic so it's not just you deciding to hurt yourself.
    And yes, I can read.
    1. If you smoke then you get less healthcare benefit.
    2. Taxing does not prevent usage which is what I said. In fact, outlawing doesn't either.
    3. Are you saying cigar and cigarette butts are toxic? So are batteries etc. Are those being taxed to death?

Of course you can read.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwieagle View Post
    I should have scrolled down and read this. Sorry to repeat.
    All over the world you pay higher insurance premiums if you are a smoker. Many places consider it a pre-existing condition.

Quote Originally Posted by USAGary View Post
    You forgot the easiest way, change the regulation and politicians that push it.
    This is NZ, Gary. The people HAVE elected their politicians. Have you thought that perhaps the people of NZ don't want to pay for your right to get treated for esophageal cancer?

"If you smoke then you get less healthcare benefit."
    So how much less benefit do you get? How do we decide? What about ex-smokers? What about all of those people who claim their great aunt Ida lived to 104 and smoked a pack a day? How do we ensure that someone doesn't claim not to be a smoker? Shall we implement genetic testing for it? If we could devise a test, how do we prove that it wasn't exposure in a public place if we get a false positive?
    Isn't reduced benefit similar to taxing you? It seems far more efficient to tax the smoker directly and up front.

"Taxing does not prevent usage which is what I said. In fact, outlawing doesn't either."
    You're wrong.

"Are you saying cigar and cigarette butts are toxic? So are batteries etc. Are those being taxed to death?"
    Where do you think the chemicals that are in your smoke go? No one is saying that all toxins should be taxed. That's a straw man.

Waddya gonna do Yankee boy, shoot me?

Leave it to a Canadian!

Yes, I can complain about some busybody infringing on my human rights, especially when they want me to pay for their healthcare. Just change the healthcare benefit.

First they came for the cigarettes, and I didn’t speak up because I’m not a smoker. Then they came for the trans fats and I didn’t speak up because I’m a healthy eater. Then they came for the foie gras and I didn’t speak up because it’s French. Then they came for the ice cream and I didn’t speak up because I’m lactose intolerant. And then they came for the rib eye. And by that time there was no one left to speak up because all of the restaurants were already out of business.

There is nothing more annoying than somebody trying to infringe on other's rights.
    Actually, quitline are not 'busybodies' but offer support via telephone, text or online to those people who contact them because they are trying to give up smoking. They are not infringing on anyone's human rights, just offering help in what can be different times.

I think unfortunately you just need to accept the price of cigarettes and either pay up or give up. It's just how it is here.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast