Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OMG Robbery!!!! $20 for a pack of cigarettes!!!

Angry OMG Robbery!!!! $20 for a pack of cigarettes!!!

Please no anti-smoking sermons (I'm an adult and I don't need a nanny), I was just held up at a supermarket while buying a pack of cigarettes. The cashier got me for $20! I have traveled a bit before to different countries and I was shocked at the price.

If you smoke and come to New Zealand, be forewarned.

Also if you know where I can buy them cheaper in NZ then please let me know.

Welcome to New Zealand.

P.S. my friend works here. http://www.quit.org.nz She would love to help you save some money.

I don't think NZ wants to get rid of smoking because they think you need a nanny. I think it's because they don't want the healthcare system strained by all those adults' choices. I don't think you'll find the price ever getting less as the trend is upwards.

The price of cigarettes is just as bad in Australia; Hope it makes you feel better

$20?

I'm not scolding you for smoking, that is your business. Just wondering...if a high BMI prevents a potential immigrant from immigrating to NZ, then isn't smoking also a black mark on your immigration medical?

I think you are ok to grow enough tobacco for your own use, seeds for a few $ on trademe.

tax on smokes isn't about punishing smokers or funding healthcare, it's about trying to make access to a very very addictive and harmful drug difficult. you can get it for very little money by growing it, not easy to access that's the aim, the goal is help or encourage people to quit and help prevent young people from taking it up... after all it can kill you, and some very young people who think they are invincible will ignore the warnings, but they may not have the cash to buy it, or patience to grow it.

well that's how I thought it worked :-)

bob

Congratulations--now quit!

As an ex smoker, people whining about the price of cigs makes me laugh till I choke.
    I can run up hills

You need to read the thread about getting 'robbed' by the cops (speeding tickets), didn't exactly go the way the poster imagined it would.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast