Thread: What work can I do with a Resident Visa?

Question What work can I do with a Resident Visa?

I just want to make sure that my understanding is correct. I was given an AIP. Will this allow me to work in NZ in any employment not related to the skills I have declared during my application? If this is the case, after 2 years, and I still want to be in NZ, will I be given a permanent resident visa?
    Thank you for your replies.

Will this allow me to work in NZ in any employment not related to the skills I have declared during my application?
    Yes, as along as there is no condition in your approval letter that states about working for a particular employer

If this is the case, after 2 years, and I still want to be in NZ, will I be given a permanent resident visa?
    Yes, as long as you satisfy all the conditions required for PR visa (residing in NZ for minimum 184 days in each year)

thank you Sun777

Here are the requirements for PR - the top section is obligatory, then you have to satisfy ONE of the conditions from the lower part of the page. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quirements.htm

One nitpicking point - you have AIP. AIP in itself won't allow you to do anything in NZ. You will have to pay the Migrant Levy, send in your passport for the residence visa to be stuck in, then travel to NZ to activate the visa, THEN you can work for anyone who wants to offer you a job.

hehe yeah JandM. Thanks. I have to send my passport and pay the migrant levy first. My question actually is after paying, sending my passport and getting the resident visa.

I guessed what you meant! You've been around on the site, so I was sure you'd know. But other people coming afterwards and reading this thread might not be so well up with the rules, so I thought I'd better be clear.