Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting mighty real now

Default Getting mighty real now

It's a grey Sunday morning in Vancouver: laptop in lap, cuppa on the go. By all rights I should be attacking the mountain of laundry that's suddenly piled up in the spare room. Maybe later.

This move is happening: my passport with blue sticker is "resting" in the East Midlands, awaiting its next flight; should have it in hand by Wednesday methinks. Yesterday was the first focused day on purging. I made it through the hall dresser and my own clothes dresser. Will have a couple of bags of clothes to donate in the end. Also acquired some plastic tubs for packing a few of the debris fields (technology cables, gloves and hats) that are spread out across the apartment. The movers are packing us up so the only real tasks are to purge and park: purge what won't be coming and park what will be luggage for me and Himself in places where the movers won't accidentally pack them. Movers are here 30-31 August.

Flights have been booked for some time (I'm rebooked actually: was supposed to leave mid-August initially). I've been trying to use some frequent flyer points to upgrade to business class--no joy and I'm not hopeful. Ah well: some earplugs, an eye mask and a big fat sleeping pill and it'll all be good. Hotel is booked as well, though I think I've uncovered an artifact that will persuade the university to give me an extra week in the apartment hotel (4 rather than 3 weeks), which would suit me. Prefer to be focused on the job initially rather than flat hunting. Besides, the shipped goods will take 6-8 weeks or more to arrive. I also discovered that for NZ$9 more per night I could have a 2 bedroom flat with an ensuite laundry. Which I will pay for out of pocket. More space and easier to keep myself tidy.

The good-byes have started, however, and while I knew it would be hard I didn't realize how hard. In my previous big moves I either left happily or was only going for a few months or years: this is a one-way move. Yesterday my best, dearest, brother-like friend left for a visit to England for 6 weeks: when he returns I'll be gone. We spent some good quality time together and I asked my husband to drop us at the airport so I could make my own way home. We had a drink, chilled out together, then left a large puddle of tears outside security. There are a few more people like that to come in the next fortnight.

No regrets; no second guesses. I'm still excited about our new lives in NZ. But sadness is a sign of love, non?

All the best.

If you didn't feel anything at such a time, you wouldn't be human. ((()))

Congratulations on your move!! Wooo hoooo! I'm just a step behind you, but started cleaning out drawers, etc. this morning so I can relate!

Good luck to you these next few weeks. They fly by and seem like an eternity all at the same time.

Totally normal and expected!
    That last moment of physical parting is intense. Hugging my mom the last time and turning quickly away; looking back to see that she had collapsed next to her car sobbing and my sis trying through her tears to help her up. I felt so horrible! I think it's that moment though, the ceremonial break. After 3 days in NZ, I got the magic jack set up and, once we started talking, everything went nearly back to normal. We now talk as often as we did before, and of course there is Skype and facebook.
    Sadness is definitely a part of love, but it's worth it.

Enjoy the feeling jawnbc and all the best !!

Hi jawnbc

I hope you don't mind that I am sharing this with you - but just to let you know there are some of us who are experiencing the exact range of emotions as you are at this present time.

I am in exactly the same position as you at the moment, and could have penned the same post almost word for word. It is starting to become a visceral and frightening (some days) experience for me, and I'm starting to question my sanity. I'm due to go on the 26th of September. We have the flights booked, the blue sticker is in both of the passports, and we are well on with the "purge" as you put it (the skip is nearly full), before we get a quote on the shipping costs. That really is the final piece of the puzzle for me, because once the decision to give the movers the go ahead is made, then there is no turning back... I am really nervous about it all to be honest.

This has been massively expensive for us both too - over £8000 (GBP) out of pocket when we arrive and I'm just hoping that I'm not making the biggest mistake of my life. We don't even have the luxury of accommodation provided for us - so we will have to make it a priority when we get there (we are going to hire a campervan for a few weeks before I start my job) and go house hunting during that time.

This whole experience has been the strangest thing I have ever done. When I am feeling less visceral - it all makes perfect rational sense to me - but today it seems very scary indeed. The tears have begun with saying goodbye to everyone and the momentum of the process is starting to increase in speed.

Good luck to you - and if you would ever like to catch up in Auckland sometime - please let me know, as I'll only be down the road in Manukau.

Take care

Denis

Bless you - you're not on your own. ((())) Thanks for sharing, as it helps other people.

Don't mind at all: that's why we're here, innit?

I can say with experience that following one's instinct is almost always the right thing. I've had no doubts about this move from the get-go. I do get doubts about getting everything done in time whilst remaining married.

We'll both get there. And enjoy a bevvie once settled in the Land of the Long White Cloud!

Quote Originally Posted by spindlegridley View Post
    Hi jawnbc

I hope you don't mind that I am sharing this with you - but just to let you know there are some of us who are experiencing the exact range of emotions as you are at this present time.

I am in exactly the same position as you at the moment, and could have penned the same post almost word for word. It is starting to become a visceral and frightening (some days) experience for me, and I'm starting to question my sanity. I'm due to go on the 26th of September. We have the flights booked, the blue sticker is in both of the passports, and we are well on with the "purge" as you put it (the skip is nearly full), before we get a quote on the shipping costs. That really is the final piece of the puzzle for me, because once the decision to give the movers the go ahead is made, then there is no turning back... I am really nervous about it all to be honest.

This has been massively expensive for us both too - over £8000 (GBP) out of pocket when we arrive and I'm just hoping that I'm not making the biggest mistake of my life. We don't even have the luxury of accommodation provided for us - so we will have to make it a priority when we get there (we are going to hire a campervan for a few weeks before I start my job) and go house hunting during that time.

This whole experience has been the strangest thing I have ever done. When I am feeling less visceral - it all makes perfect rational sense to me - but today it seems very scary indeed. The tears have begun with saying goodbye to everyone and the momentum of the process is starting to increase in speed.

Good luck to you - and if you would ever like to catch up in Auckland sometime - please let me know, as I'll only be down the road in Manukau.

Take care

Denis

Completely what I'm experiencing too - I'm so excited and nervous and hopeful and happy and sad and everything all at once.

We have 7 weeks left and I'm working my way through my rather long list of things to do. Each time I think about anything to do with moving, which is like every 2 minutes or something, I get butterflies in my stomach! I booked my last set of yoga classes last night at the studio I've been going to for 3 years. It's the little things like that which seem to make the scale of the move hit home most.

Still can't wait though and find myself smiling at random times and wishing time would move faster!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast