Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CV to employers or recruitment agents ?

Default CV to employers or recruitment agents ?

Hey,
    Newcomer jobseeker. I'm wondering if its better to apply for a job strait to the employer or though recruitment agents.
    Does anybody knows well established recruiters in NZ? I'm in the construction field.
    Thanks
    Christos

IMO, whenever you can, go to the source. Many companies only use recruiters for job advertizing though so you're going to have to go through the recruiter if it's a job you really want.

Quote Originally Posted by christos View Post
    Does anybody knows well established recruiters in NZ? I'm in the construction field.
    Check SEEK and the various newspapers and you'll quickly notice which agencies are relevant for you. Though as already mentioned I too prefer the direct approach.

As mentioned, you may not have a choice. But if there is a choice, I prefer to go to the companies directly. The agencies that I first went with didn't really work for me, and the job offers I did get in the end I got when applying directly.

Good luck,

Daniela

Thanks all. Yes I see that maybe there is no choice. Or ... I can do both.
    I was just thinking that possibly a recruiter can introduce me to the employer better than me if the employer trusts the recruiter.

Hi, I have being talking with some recruiters and it is good to have a strategy when sending CVs in order not to flood the market with your CV. It is not good that you send your CV directly to a company and also to a recruiter so the employer have your CV twice, it is a small market. So keep track of your CVs!!

Quote Originally Posted by amf.campos View Post
    It is not good that you send your CV directly to a company and also to a recruiter so the employer have your CV twice
    Why is it not good? It shows the employer that you are exploring all opportunities. An endeavour they would expect you to do when employed by them!

Apply directly with employers and also with recruitment agencies (in the order of preference), do note that some of the jobs (especially small & medium enterprises) are only posted with recruitment agencies.

If companies can hire directly it saves them money, as the costs of hiring though a recruitment agency can be very high - I know that where I work now never use agencies for this reason. So, if you can get your CV to them directly it will save them money. However some companies are happy to pay for the agency to make the process simplier for them. So, it may depend on the individual company as to what is best to do. Once you've spent a little time on Seek and looking at the jobs on TradeMe you should start to get a feel for both the employers and the agencies and a better sense as to which prefer what process.

What I do:

1. Look on employers' sites first.
    2. Look on recruitment websites - if I see I job I like I try to ascertain the company and then try to find it on their website

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast