Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Claiming Points for Experience in Future Growth & Absolute Skills Shortage!

Lightbulb Claiming Points for Experience in Future Growth & Absolute Skills Shortage!

Dear All,

Kindly let me know your feedback on the following queries:

1. I would like to know, if I can claim points for Future Growth Area & Absolute Skills Shortage (as my working experience has found relevance in both).
    2. My wife passport has expired and we are in the process of applying for a fresh passport. Is it necessary to have a valid passport for my partner to be able to submit my EOI?
    3. Is it advisable to to apply for EOI after writing IELTS exam or before? I did my graduation in English.

Thanks.

1. You can only claim for qualifications and work experience in an identified future growth area if you ALSO, already, have work or a job offer in New Zealand. You can claim for an area of absolute skills shortage without that, though. See NZ immigration operational manual, Section SM13 for all the detailed regulations. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/ Go to Residence » Skilled Migrant Category » SM13 Bonus points: work experience in an identified future growth area or an area of absolute skills shortage.

3. You don't have to have done IELTS. You may not have to do it at all - the regulations allow other proofs of competence in English - although some COs have an automatic reaction of asking for IELTS. For many, if you reply, 'I have supplied proof of English in the form of (whatever, for instance a letter stating that your degree was taught entirely in English),' that does the trick, although a CO has the right to ask for IELTS if they say why they require it. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/ Go to Residence » Skilled Migrant Category » SM5 English Language Requirements » SM5.5 Minimum standard of English language for principal applicants.

For question 2, here my personal opinion:

In passport question, during filling EOI, they said
    Please provide details of all passports currently held
    So, I think you can't fill expired passport details in this question because they want passport you currently held. So, if this question is mandatory, then you need valid passport.

For residence application, for sure you need valid passport because they asked me in ITA for below thing:
    Passports must be valid for at least 12 months from the date that the visas are issued and be in good condition

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by nemoz View Post
    Dear All,

Kindly let me know your feedback on the following queries:

3. Is it advisable to to apply for EOI after writing IELTS exam or before? I did my graduation in English.

Thanks.
    You don't have to provide your IELTS certificate on condition that you are able to provide some documents that prove that you have enough English skills, for example, a letter from university that verifies that you passed your courses in English, some documents regarding any probable work experience in a multinational company or any companies abroad, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    1. You can only claim for qualifications and work experience in an identified future growth area if you ALSO, already, have work or a job offer in New Zealand. You can claim for an area of absolute skills shortage without that, though. See NZ immigration operational manual, Section SM13 for all the detailed regulations. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/ Go to Residence » Skilled Migrant Category » SM13 Bonus points: work experience in an identified future growth area or an area of absolute skills shortage.
    Thank you all for your replies!

J&M, as I mentioned above I have references in both future growth & absolute skills shortage. Their web site is allowing me to claim points based on the applied category.

I checked on the NZ immigration web site and it is not clear whether I can claim for future growth unless I have a job offer from NZ. At the moment, I am not having a job offer and will be applying for SM (skilled migrant) category with out job offer.

During EOI online form process, I am allowed to select my experience references in both long term / absolute skills shortage and points are assigned as well?
    SM13.10 Work experience in an identified future growth area

Recognised work experience in an identified future growth area qualifies for points if:

the principal applicant has points for current skilled employment or an offer of skilled employment in an identified future growth area (see SM8.10); and
    the experience is relevant to that employment (see SM7.10.10).
    Kindly suggest!! Thanks.

Like I said before, you can NOT claim points for future growth unless you have a job, or a job offer.

But you CAN claim for work experience in an area of absolute skills shortage if it meets this regulation.

SM13.20 Work experience in an area of absolute skills shortage

Recognised work experience is assessed as being in an area of absolute skills shortage if:
    it was undertaken in an occupation included on the Long Term Skill Shortage List (refer Appendix 4) or that was on the Long Term Skill Shortage List at the time the principal applicant’s Expression of Interest was selected; and
    it meets the specifications for that occupation; and
    the principal applicant is suitably qualified by training and/or experience to undertake that work (including any specific requirements set out in column 3 of the Long Term Skill Shortage List or that were listed on the date their Expression of Interest was selected).
    Where the Long Term Skill Shortage List specifies that occupational registration is required for a listed occupation, the principal applicant must demonstrate that they:
    held occupational registration while undertaking the work experience, if occupational registration was required in the country in which the work occurred; and
    hold current full or provisional New Zealand occupational registration, or meets the requirements of SM19.15.b.ii if registration is required from the New Zealand Medical or Dental Council.

SM13.20.1 Evidence

Recognised work experience in an area of absolute skills shortage only qualifies for points if the principal applicant provides evidence that satisfies an immigration officer that their work experience meets the requirements of SM13.20 above.

Like I said before, you can NOT claim points for future growth unless you have a job, or a job offer.

But you CAN claim for work experience in an area of absolute skills shortage if it meets this regulation.
    Thank you so very much JandM! You are simply amazing!

Glad if it's helped.

Re. the second question on passport; if EOI allows you to leave it blank, I thin you can do so.

In my case, when I applied EOI, my wife wasn't even having the passport. We later updated her passport details on AIP Form in Ammendments section and also in the covering letter about the change. AIP for is nothing but the information you provided during the EOI Submission. I know the EOI form hase changed a bit since we applied; not sure though if it's mandatory to provide passport details for non-principle applicants. If it allows, (needless to say) make sure you update the CO while submitting your Residence application and do the necessory ammendments to the application as well as in the coverletter providing the reason why you did not provide earlier.
    Last edited by sribhat; 29th August 2012 at 01:58 PM.

Hi JandM,
    It's bit confusing. I was looking closely on the points indicator and the Ops Manual, here is what I think (hoping I'm not claculating incorrectly)

I think one can still claim the points for "identified future growth area" and "area of absolute skills shortage" if the applicant has the work experience or offer in indentified future growth area. Experience or offer need not be from "New Zealand" based on section "SM13.10 Work experience in an identified future growth area". Nowhere it mentions it needs to be from New Zealand.

Adding to that; In points indicator, there are two places where the similar question is asked re. the :indetified future growth area". First in "Skilled Employment" section, specifically from NZ and the second in "Relevant Work Experience" sections where int need not be from NZ.

Am I confusing more here?

3. You don't have to have done IELTS. You may not have to do it at all - the regulations allow other proofs of competence in English - although some COs have an automatic reaction of asking for IELTS. For many, if you reply, 'I have supplied proof of English in the form of (whatever, for instance a letter stating that your degree was taught entirely in English),' that does the trick, although a CO has the right to ask for IELTS if they say why they require it. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/ Go to Residence » Skilled Migrant Category » SM5 English Language Requirements » SM5.5 Minimum standard of English language for principal applicants.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast