Thread: Doctors - provisional general registration

Default Doctors - provisional general registration

I have a query if anyone here could help I would be very thankful
    Regarding registration with the new Zealand medical council after finishing the nzrex exam, I do understand that they give you what's called provisional general registration. So what do you do after that? I already finished my internship year in Oman and working now as a medical officer in general surgery at the royal hospital.
    Do I still have to apply through ACE and do internship rotations again or do I just apply directly with an accredited hospital and work for them under supervision for a year ?
    Would appreciate it if anyone here who's a doctor or knows info for sure as I have been reading a lot online but still cannot understand what's to be done after nzrex.
    Many thanks

Hi
    I am not sure that there are many Doctor's here on the forum so I would contact the medical council and ask them. here is the link for the council and the contact details can be found there.Even if there are doctors here each case can be different so its best to contact them
    http://www.mcnz.org.nz/home/doctors-...n-new-zealand/

I think the Medical Council is where you should get your answer to this query: health professions have their own cultures and each can operate rather differently.

Thanks Caroline and Dave and thanks Jawnbc. I contacted ACE and they just replied saying that whoever passes the nzrex can apply directly to jobs through DHBs, or by the time ACE takes applications then can apply through them. Yet they were not so sure and said its best to contact the medical council still if any doctor reads this post and happens to have any experience then would appreciate your input. Cheers

I think it is clear on the NZ medical council website that you must work in an approved house officer position (this is a first year house officer position = intern) for one year. http://www.mcnz.org.nz/get-registere...zrex-clinical/ (see almost the bottom of the page).

You should note that you cannot become registered with the medical council in NZ without a job.

You used to be able to apply directly to the DHBs or via some localised clearing systems but I don't know how ACE is working/going to work. You seem to have missed the deadline for this year for ACE though (and probably will have a fairly low priority based on their published criteria), so might be better off applying to some of the accredited (for intern - I think it is most of them anyway) DHBs to see if they still have places.