Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I've resigned and its all becoming very real!

All the best with the move back.

I am sure little fairies come into the house when you aren't looking and put all that stuff there. Trouble is, they put it at the back of the cupboards and in the loft so you don't see it Well that's my excuse anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauralocks View Post
    The volume of stuff to do is terrifying. I have found the time since I resigned and started to make the practical arrangements for moving far more stressful than getting my visa and I know it's starting to get to my husband a little too now.

On a practical note, I am trying to cope with the scariness of the list of things to do by splitting it down into manageable chunks - so getting things into the order in which they need to be done and giving myself a certain number of things to do each week. I use this method on my big projects at work to help me cope when they are overwhelming and it seems to be working for this too. Each week I have a manageable amount of things to do so I feel that I can tackle them without it being too much, and then when they are done I get to tick things off the list which is always very satisfying and reassuring.

On a slightly different note - moving back is very exciting and scary and I am constantly looking forward to my new life and thinking about the things I want to do when I'm there - but it's also important to try and enjoy your remaining time in the UK. To see friends and family, to go to the places you love going to, and most of all to take time for you. It's a huge whirlwind and it will pick you up and spin you around unless you take the time to de-stress and little and focus on yourself. You also have to let yourself experience the emotions that are there inside you, locked away by the vast amount it feels like you need to do. Take a couple of hours each week and do something just for you - I do a yoga class which I could have given up because I'm too busy but instead decided to keep doing because those 2 hours once a week help keep me sane.

Hope it all goes well for you and let us know how you're doing and if we can help at all!

xx
    Strangely enough I love to organise and plan, but I guess planning with emotions is different! I have done the lists with dates and set myself a list to do each evening. I managed to book 2 holidays before I leave early Nov, so they are kind of getting in the way! A family holiday and my brother is squeezing in his wedding before I leave!!

I am English but moved to NZ in 2005. I left after 2 years, something I was regretting as soon as I got on the plane. So I have been thinking of moving back for 5 years.Its now all come to getting everything sorted for move. I don't even have visas to worry about!!

I am really looking forward to the future and I am lucky enough to have good friends to go to in NZ.

Just need to stop worrying about the small stuff! I sent an email over night to NZ customs just to check it would be ok to send my 'stuff' over in 2 shipments, and the reply seems that I only had 5 years from 1st entry with PR (in my case 2005) to do it! I have written back but now I am a bit worried I wont be able to ship my stuff over. Has anyone done this 2nd time round?

Thanks all for all you kind words and support!

There's nothing to stop you sending whatever you like, but beyond the time for concessions, they can charge you tax/duty on anything they decide is liable. I think Fees and charges for unaccompanied goods will apply here. http://www.customs.govt.nz/features/...s/default.aspx There is more detail on a further link off this page, but they seem to work from original purchase price as value, minus a depreciation percentage per year (which gets down to 50% after 12 - 21 months of ownership). If you look down near the bottom of the list, there's an example of a consignment of personal effects.

I'm just a bit confused. I thought that as I have been out of the country for more than 21 months, the below will apply (I am a NZ resident). Alot of my stuff I dont have receipts for either.

From Customs website:

If you are an immigrant, or a resident returning to New Zealand after 21 months or more overseas, you will be entitled to certain concessions on household items and similar possessions that you wish to bring in.

Oh, I see... yes, as you have PR, you would've thought that should apply. Maybe the person who answered you didn't pay attention to that point, any more than I did. Ask them again, why don't you, quoting that rule?

Just think about the time everything is over and you and yours are sitting on the plane ready to take off............ sweet

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12