Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've resigned and its all becoming very real!

Default I've resigned and its all becoming very real!

For years I have been planning my move back to NZ. The time came this week to resign from my UK job. Its all suddenly becoming very real. Scary real and several times a day have mini anxiety attacks. So much to do, so have resigned to carrying a book of lists around with me!

Everyone at work is so excited for me, but all I can think about is finding a job, shipping, family and everything else! I'm hoping the excitement will come back once I have sorted everthing and can actually think about the future more.

Spent the day sorting and packing- how did I accumulate so much!!!

Sending you lots of positive thoughts

Thanks!

I think its just the 'stuff to do' is overwhelming everthing else!

Congratulations!
    And thanks for sharing your innermost thoughts.
    Wishing you the good Lord's sweet blessings and Presence.

The volume of stuff to do is terrifying. I have found the time since I resigned and started to make the practical arrangements for moving far more stressful than getting my visa and I know it's starting to get to my husband a little too now.

On a practical note, I am trying to cope with the scariness of the list of things to do by splitting it down into manageable chunks - so getting things into the order in which they need to be done and giving myself a certain number of things to do each week. I use this method on my big projects at work to help me cope when they are overwhelming and it seems to be working for this too. Each week I have a manageable amount of things to do so I feel that I can tackle them without it being too much, and then when they are done I get to tick things off the list which is always very satisfying and reassuring.

On a slightly different note - moving back is very exciting and scary and I am constantly looking forward to my new life and thinking about the things I want to do when I'm there - but it's also important to try and enjoy your remaining time in the UK. To see friends and family, to go to the places you love going to, and most of all to take time for you. It's a huge whirlwind and it will pick you up and spin you around unless you take the time to de-stress and little and focus on yourself. You also have to let yourself experience the emotions that are there inside you, locked away by the vast amount it feels like you need to do. Take a couple of hours each week and do something just for you - I do a yoga class which I could have given up because I'm too busy but instead decided to keep doing because those 2 hours once a week help keep me sane.

Hope it all goes well for you and let us know how you're doing and if we can help at all!

xx

Congratulations! Think of it as an amusement park ride (roller coaster, flume, carousel): scream and go with it, since you can't get off now!

I too am ashamed at all the stuff I have accumulated. It's pretty shocking. Yes, some of it is obsolete as the kids grew older but I never used that food processor or that hot chocolate maker and I've accepted that I no longer need to hoard the 2004 bills. It is pretty stressful. Our container comes this week. Not enough hours in the day. Hope it all goes well for you.

Yes, it is scary. And exciting and nerve wracking and stressful. But...whoever did something/anything because it was boring and predictable?

Keep your eye on the prize and it WILL all be fine in the end.

Good luck!

Good luck to you! Lauralocks said it perfectly, plan it out in bite size chunks and make sure to enjoy your life too. You don't want to look back and think crap all I did was stress about the move and I didn't get to do anything fun with friends, family etc. We took the summer to plan our move back, and we literally fly out in 5 days and I have to say it helped tremendously. We really feel like we got to enjoy our summer, and spend quality time with friends and family and of course prepare for the move. And yes, I can't get over how much crap we have accumulated. My kiwi husband moved over to the US 11.5 years ago with a box and a backpack, now we have a 20 foot container chocker-block full. Enjoy!

Lou, I take it you're another Kiwi heading home? Congratulations!! I can relate to the mini anxiety attacks. If everything goes well with the sale of my house, I'll be leaving for NZ on Dec 4th.
    Wooo hoooo!

Kiwihusker.....I can't believe you're leaving in just five days! Congrats to you too. We can all look forward to Christmas in jandals!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast