Thread: Palmerston North commute from nice countryside?

Default Palmerston North commute from nice countryside?

Hi everyone,

One of the place I have a job offer is Palmerston North Hospital. Hubby and I would prefer to live somewhere green and quiet with a decent sense of space around us and, hopefully out of that wind. We are not bothered about being near a beach and have no kids so no worries about schools. We would be happy to commute up to about 40 mins. Anywhere you would suggest that might fit the bill?

Thanks for any advice from you.

Hi there. By "green and quiet" do you mean in a relatively remote area with some land or on a life-style block close'ish to town? Palmy is a fairly small city and completely surrounded by agricultural land so there are lots of small blocks reasonably close to town - prices vary but compared to most NZ cities they are pretty affordable. In terms of small blocks close to town, areas to the North and West of the city (e.g. Rongotea, Bainesse) are generally flat and relatively bereft of trees but there are heaps of options. If you want to be further up into the hills with bush etc then south of the city (Aokautere) is good or alternatively areas like the Pohangina Valley are further away from town but have hills, trees and are certainly green and quiet! Wind is something you will learn to love :-) I don't think there are any particular wind-free areas around Palmy per se but a house/property that is fairly sheltered would be your best bet. We live right on the edge of town (Aokautere) which is lovely - very quiet and surrounded by reserves planted in native bush and with an extensive walkway network running through, but all the benefits of effectively living in town such as town water & sewage.
    All the best with your job and house hunts.
    PS Palmerston North quite frequently gets slated but I personally think it is a great place to live - nice lifestyle if you are into the outdoors.

I guess If you wanted to live close(r) to a beach / the sea, you could consider living in Foxton. Wises maps puts it at 38.8 kms away, with a drive of 34 minutes