Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We've arrived...

Cool We've arrived...

The past few weeks of madness have settled... we left the UK on Wednesday evening flying with Singapore airlines.

I have to say- Singapore were excellent. One thing for those flying with them (and emigrating) - do make sure you get a printed email saying about the 40kg luggage allowance as the guy at check in did not know about it. However- once shown, everything was fine.

We flew to NZ with Cathay Pacific 3 years ago- Singapore were much better. The staff were brilliant and were fantastic with the children. I think we were in a newer Airbus- I had plenty of room, the back of chair TVs were very good. All in all and excellent flight.

We had a 2 h gap between flights at Singapore- which wasn't a problem. The plane from Singapore to Christchurch was understandably smaller (and older) but the staff were still wonderful. No complaints at all.

When we landed at Christchurch we were welcomed as residents and told we could use the NZ passport lane (which was empty!) saved lots of time.

Once through customs came out to find the NZ Olympic team waiting at the cafe (they were going on their celebration tour) so had a few words with them (helping at the Olympics helped with my confidence!).

I'd hired a large mini-van (12 seater) to carry the luggage- and once we left the airport we discovered the roads were lined with people waving flags (in preparation for the NZ team driving through!).

I drove straight to Blenheim (no stops) so that we could pick up our rental keys. Having done so, did a BIG shop at Warehouse (fridge , freezer, electric blankets etc) Pretty much all were deeply discounted because it's end of winter- so I got a good deal.

Went back to Warehouse the next day and picked up oil heaters (also discounted). In the queue a lady introduced herself to me and gave me a card for the local camera club.When she bumped into me again she introduced me to the deputy mayor! Later that day I was carrying bean bags along with the polystyrene balls to fill them and a lady pulled over and offered me a lift home: so I definitely have that small town feel (which I think we have lost in the UK).

I am loving the house we are renting: we have a river at the bottom of the garden, a chicken coop and plenty of space.

On Sunday we went into town and visited Farmers. They also had a sale (beds and sofa) and we picked up beds for the children, a super king and a leather suite for FAR less than I had expected to pay after my previous research (which meant my decision to leave our old sofa and beds home was a good one. However- if they had not been discounted, it would have been a significant extra cost. Overall: 3 children's beds (2 of which have extra pull out beds underneath), adult superking, suite (leather 3 seater and 2 seater) came to around $8400.

So far everything has been great. Loving the weather, the views, the space, the friendliness of the folks round here.

We are waiting for the internet at home (connected tomorrow) and sky thursday.

The only free internet I can get is at the library (which is how I remember libraries being in the UK when I was a child).

So- next big event is my starting work on Thursday.

We don't yet have a car (don't want a loan, so I am going to try to find a cheap runabout) but that will have to wait until I am paid.

Other than that- LOVING IT!

Ta,

Sounds awesome! Welcome to NZ

Brilliant - what an eventful journey and first few days. Welcome to NZ!

Sounds fabulous! So glad things are falling into place for you. Congrats. And hope works goes super.

Wonderful!

So happy to hear that.

Sweet as , welcome to your new home.

Aww, didn't you hit the ground running?! Congratulations, and all good wishes for things to go on just as well.

(That must have been surreal - your first drive in NZ, with people waving flags!)

Hi,

Great to hear your story.

You sound very organised.Well Done !

Sounds like it all went very smoothly, welcome home!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast