Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Earthquakes !!

Question Earthquakes !!

Hi and HELP !!

I'm new to this forum as my huband has just been offered a job in Wellington. We have 2 daughters aged 12 and 9 and are hoping to make the move by the end of the year hoping everything goes well with the immigration - so i'll be asking lots of questions to you lovely New Zealanders for help and advise.
    My biggest concern is the earthquakes you guys have, coming from the UK we dont have these - i'd welcome any thoughts on this please

I've done alot of research on climate and housing but any information or advise you could give me would be very much appriciated especially advise on Wellington.

Many thanks
    Louise

Hello and welcome.

While the whole of NZ has to be recognized as being on the Pacific Rim and therefore liable to earthquake events, Wellington isn't a place that has recently suffered any large-scale damage.

Earthquakes aren't something that dominates or overshadows people's everyday thinking in NZ. Workplaces and schools have laid down guidelines for 'what to do if', and families should think their plans through, too, just in case, then get on with life. There are national guidelines, and it's sensible to be prepared as recommended. http://www.getthru.govt.nz/web/GetTh...eb/BOWN-7GY5TP http://www.civildefence.govt.nz/memw...s?opendocument On my last visit, my then 4-year-old granddaughter was asked to teach me what to do in case of an earthquake - she did, with demonstrations, as practised at kindy, perfectly matter-of-factly. It's an aspect of life you need to know about, and think of in a practical way. If one comes along, calmly doing the necessary is what gets people through.

Living here in NZ you will bs experiencing earth quakes, no doubt! it is just a question of it's strength and timing.

A lot depends on where you settle; check here http://www.geonet.org.nz/

I have to admit that was one of my concerns too before leaving Scotland. I even said let's move to Christchurch as it has no pink dots on the geonet map.....enough said!

I would disagree with JandM a little though regarding it dominating your everyday thinking. Here is Christchurch, for many of us, there is always an awareness. I sleep with a torch next to the bed, the mobile is charged, we look at buildings diffently you...you make different life choices. You enter a room and assess where is safe if it shakes, you store things differently in your cupboards. However you do get on with life. Buildings are not meant to remain standing, but should collapse in a way you can get out.

It is an experience and many of us are living with upheaval still and the repercussions almost two years after the initial quake. However we get through it, and the reality is not as bad when it happens as the fear of what might be. There is still a higher chance of being killed in a car crash!

Forgive me, Mamee - I wasn't including Christchurch in what I said. I do know from close friends what's happening to you folks. ((())) But as the OP isn't heading there, it seemed fair to give a wider view.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Trust me, once you're here you can't let the potential threat of an earthquake dominate your everyday life, and most people don't. It's true that, since the Chch quakes, people have been a lot more conscious of them, and many companies have taken steps to find new premises if their building isn't high up the current building code. But we've been here two years and I can count the number of quakes I've felt on one hand. There have been others, but we've just not felt them.

Recently a study came out that said the chance of a major earthquake in WGTN in the next century was 10%.

In yesterday's Press there was an article that said we've just been 8 straight days without a discernible shake - for the first time in two years.

I haven't felt one for weeks.

Yup, I can't get over the nagging feeling that it's TOO QUIET.

Personally I don't fancy the idea of Wellington at the moment, simply because I actually feel safer in Chch. That probably sounds very strange, but it's because the buildings that are likely to sustain damage in a quake have either already fallen down (some at a tragic cost) or are being demolished, repaired etc. That said, I would quite happily go the rest of my life without feeling anything bigger than a mag-4 tickle.

The rest of the country is now very much aware of these risks now, and how they might play out in an actual quake rather than computer modelling. Landlords - commercial and residential - are slowly being given notice that their properties need to be strengthened and upgraded to meet standard, or offered an incentive to do so. There is even talk of making building's "safety level" available publicly.. though how exactly anyone can have a real choice if their workplace is within a dodgy-ish building I'm not sure.

The best thing to do - anywhere in NZ - is to bear it in mind now and then. Have an emergency box of water and food somewhere like the garage, and know where your torches live. That sort of thing. Chances are that you will never need it!

I pretty much agree withe sophiedband Mamee & Co.
    The thought of moving to Wellington now feels more like out of the frying pan into the fire for me.
    Just because people say that they haven't felt one in ages or just a handful doesn't really mean anything.
    I only remember feeling one shake in Christchurch in the 4 years prior to Sept 2010 and here we are a few thousand shakes later.
    I wouldn't let it up put you off, you just need to be aware and prepared.
    As said before, you are more likely to be killed in a car crash, especially with some of the drivers over here lol.
    Best of luck with your move.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast