Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for an "Open This Box First"

Default Ideas for an "Open This Box First"

I'm packing a box that I'm going to mark, 'OPEN FIRST'. I'll mark it with red tape and a sign asking the unpackers to put it in the kitchen of the new house or at the front of the storage unit in NZ where I can find it.

I'm putting things in this box that I'll need the day I move into my NZ house, so that I don't have to unpack 20 boxes to find one item; towel, bar of soap, paper towels, tea towels, toilet paper, scissors, paring knife, cutlery, tea cup, etc.

Any brilliant ideas of things to put in this box?

Good idea!
    Sheets for the bed, pillows, plates (paper plates?), utensils, a favorite book you didn't bring in you luggage,measuring tape, ibuprofen.

LOL - I've packed the Tylenol already! (plus a couple of band aids and some stuff for mozzie bites) Good idea on the sheets. Thanks!!

Some sort of alcohol delivery technology: wine opener, champagne flutes (plastic?) or beer mugs? To christen the place?

Although I'm a teetotaler...most aren't.

Great idea!

It's a nice idea but in the 10-12 weeks we've been told it will take our boxes to arrive I doubt we'll have anything we're that bothered about urgently having left in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dell View Post
    I'm packing a box that I'm going to mark, 'OPEN FIRST'. I'll mark it with red tape and a sign asking the unpackers to put it in the kitchen of the new house or at the front of the storage unit in NZ where I can find it.

I'm putting things in this box that I'll need the day I move into my NZ house, so that I don't have to unpack 20 boxes to find one item; towel, bar of soap, paper towels, tea towels, toilet paper, scissors, paring knife, cutlery, tea cup, etc.

Any brilliant ideas of things to put in this box?
    Salt and pepper shakers, measuring tape, cellotape, a clock, batteries, light bulbs, a little portable radio

Quote Originally Posted by jawnbc View Post
    Some sort of alcohol delivery technology: wine opener, champagne flutes (plastic?) or beer mugs? To christen the place?

Although I'm a teetotaler...most aren't.

Great idea!

I'm a red-wine drinker, and I've yet to see a wine bottle with a cork in NZ. All the ones I've opened are screw-tops. But maybe it's the quality of wine that I'm drinking?

Glad to see on another thread that I can ship booze with my household goods as I've got a BIG bottle of gin (already opened) that I'd hate to donate to the movers!

Quote Originally Posted by kiwieagle View Post
    Salt and pepper shakers, measuring tape, cellotape, a clock, batteries, light bulbs, a little portable radio
    check, check and check! Thanks - didn't even think of batteries which reminds me that I should pack a torch (flashlight).

We got our container of stuff 12 weeks after we arrived, and lived in 2 unfurnished houses in the meantime. There are various threads here with lists of things to bring in your luggage which is a similar idea for those people with a long wait before their household goods arrive.

(we brought clothes, toiletries, a towel each, guidebooks, books, cutlery, kitchen knives, dog leads and metal food bowls, camera, laptop, crayons etc for our child, duvets, mugs, v. basic first aid kit, small torch in our luggage on the plane. That was with a 46kg luggage allowance per person though, so if we were doing that again we would have to bring considerably less. When we arrived we then went out and bought cheap plates and glasses, weighing scales, sheets, a mattress for our child - we slept on borrowed airbeds - and a kettle (or jug as they are called here), iron, frying pan, saucepan, cheese grater.)
    You don't need a corkscrew unless you are drinking expensive wine as the wine comes with screw tops here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dell View Post
    check, check and check! Thanks - didn't even think of batteries which reminds me that I should pack a torch (flashlight).
    Pretty soon you won't have to qualify torch with (flashlight). You'll be able to just say torch and everyone will know what you mean.

Today's screw top is an entirely different technology than the screw tops that used to be associated with plonk. It was NZ winemakers that led the industry in this innovation. Screw tops mean no cork taint. So drink your screw top wines with pride!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast