Thread: Share accommodation..

Default Share accommodation..

Hello every body.
    I want to know that if I can trust to "Share accommodation" web sites or no. Is this type of accommodation trustworthy indeed??
    I've found some sites on this, such as http://www.easyroommate.co.nz and www.share-accommodation.co.nz etc. Are them trustworthy? I plan to use this type of accommodation in my first months after movement. Do you agree with this or not? What do you suggest?

No idea???!!!
    No body has no experience about it????!!!

I don't know anything about this from personal experience. However, looking at the websites, I get the impression that they are simply the internet equivalent of small ads in a newspaper. They themselves are not the ones you need to query for trustworthiness - you need to check out the person advertising the accommodation, and any contract they offer you. http://www.dbh.govt.nz/tenants-index

Have you lived in shared accommodation before? If so, have you done this with people you have never met? It is fine when you are in University and have no/low standards, but maybe another thing when you are a professional. My impression is that once you live in an area for a while and still have to solicit for random strangers to share your home it is a possible warning sign. That said, the first site you mentioned seems like an online dating site, but for housing instead of mating, so if it is good enough for finding a partner, I guess it should be good enough for finding a flat.

Quote Originally Posted by buraddo View Post
    My impression is that once you live in an area for a while and still have to solicit for random strangers to share your home it is a possible warning sign.

My impression is that once you live in an area for a while and still have to solicit for random strangers to share your home it is a possible warning sign.
    This strikes me as a bit harsh or pessimistic. I've lived in the same town for more than thirty years, but I can't instantly call to mind anyone of my acquaintance who is in need of a room, should I suddenly decide I want to rent one out. The people I know here already have their own accommodation. By definition, I haven't yet met the newcomers who are looking - if they've just landed a job in the area, they haven't been out and about socially, and they'll be reading advertisements, not putting out the word, as they won't yet know people to ask.

Harsh, yes. But based on experience of flat sharing and having a lot of friends in similar positions. I'm sure it is not always the case.

This is definitely not true. Many people share for a large number of reasons. The success of the internet home sharing site AirBnB would not have happened if there were not a number of possible positive experiences to be had. AirBnB offers short term accommodation sharing peoples homes. Many people love staying in other peoples places. And lots of people love having other stay.

Of course, as JandM says, you need to check out the person advertising. You may be lucky and find someone great who will become your connection to a wider New Zealand community as they introduce to their friends.