Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I need good advice

Quote Originally Posted by LeavingEurope View Post
    How much money do you think that me and my parents spent on education? I want to work and make up for it.
    Yeah right, that's why you are bumming around Australia now......

I'll probably travel in New Zealand and have some fun but I don't work for a net wage of approximately $9/hour after tax. I can make this money playing online poker as a hobby.
    Being a foreigner is tougher than I thought. I'll stick to working holiday employment and head back to Europe next year.

Good idea. Save the lousy paying jobs for someone who isn't as proficient at online poker.

If you went to Australia expecting work in your profession the onus was on you to research the requirements for licencing, how open the labour market is to hiring newly graduated foreign workers in your field, and what steps you need to take to ensure you best represent yourself in the local culture. None of these thing are unreasonable or unusual. But for someone who's not looked to work in a foreign labour market they're no doubt surprising.

I think doing your explorations now is a great idea. But whether you can work in your new profession or will need to settle for whatever jobs you can find is a different question. Whatever you decide, do you research, be persistent and avoid coming across as frustrated or angry--neither is attractive to those who could help you. You've taken more than a few missteps in this forum

I recently graduated as a physiotherapist in Belgium.
    It's a high value degree (3 bachelor and 2 master years) from a very reputable university, but it seems that any country outside of Europe requires me to do exams if I want to get approved.
    Exams that cost a lot of money to take, and once I pass it takes a long time before I can actually work with it.

I am currently doing random jobs in Australia, because minimum wage is still 18AUD/hour and I can save money this way.
    I keep wondering if I should extend my VISA in Australia or not. It's a nice country but it's very hard to start working as a physio here.
    Therefore I am tempted not to extend my VISA and start a physiotherapy career in New Zealand.

HOWEVER

Many friends that I met in Australia have been traveling in New Zealand and they all tell me it is ridiculously expensive to live there.
    Expenses are similar to Australia and the wages are a lot lower.

I am not planning to waste all my savings in New Zealand in the period that I am not employed as a physiotherapist.
    It is simply too much of a risk.

What is my best strategy? I simply can't figure it out because I have no life experience in New Zealand.

What places are good for employment until my degree is approved? What places are affordable to live and what places aren't?
    What is the exact minimum wage for the random jobs I'll have to do until my uni degree is approved?
    So let me get this right. You recently qualified but you chose not to put your newly acquired skills into practise immediately. Why ? That seem a very odd decision.

Could you not get a job ? If not, why not ?

As a person who has recently emigrated to NZ in the health sector I am unaware of any Western European health related qualification that isn't recognised in either NZ or Aus with the relative post-qualifying experience which should always be gained in the country where the qualification was gained.

. Being a foreigner is a lot tougher than I thought and forces you to do jobs that you are overqualified for until you are approved, which may take a year.
    Next time you get into a cab in Belgium, or in the Netherlands, or anywhere in Europe, you will know that the Iranian/Syrian/Algerian etc cab driver might be a teacher of physics, a professor of philosophy, a GP in their respective countries.

If you take nothing else from your time in Australia but understand that not everyone can chose the kind of lives they live, then you have learnt a lot.

Daniela

Quote Originally Posted by Our_Carl View Post

As a person who has recently emigrated to NZ in the health sector I am unaware of any Western European health related qualification that isn't recognised in either NZ or Aus with the relative post-qualifying experience which should always be gained in the country where the qualification was gained.
    I suppose you are not actually talking about 'Western Europe' health related qualification, but about British? Because I can tell you that none (as far as I know) 'western' or 'eastern' or, as it is, 'European' in general health related qualification is easily recognised in NZ (or Australia....). My husband is a dentis, had his own surgery for over 22 years and had to go through all sorts of exams before he could get his registration in New Zealand (same goes for Australia). His qualifications were not recognised at all, and as a dentist you can't work under supervision as you can as a doctor, for example.

So, just to set that straight, it is not as easy as you make it sound, even if you have loads of experience in your profession. It is easy if you are from the UK, and some other countries, but not easy for every Western European.

Quote Originally Posted by newarrival View Post
    I suppose you are not actually talking about 'Western Europe' health related qualification, but about British? Because I can tell you that none (as far as I know) 'western' or 'eastern' or, as it is, 'European' in general health related qualification is easily recognised in NZ (or Australia....). My husband is a dentis, had his own surgery for over 22 years and had to go through all sorts of exams before he could get his registration in New Zealand (same goes for Australia). His qualifications were not recognised at all, and as a dentist you can't work under supervision as you can as a doctor, for example.

So, just to set that straight, it is not as easy as you make it sound, even if you have loads of experience in your profession. It is easy if you are from the UK, and some other countries, but not easy for every Western European.
    No, I really do mean what I said & I work with enough Europeans who had there qualifications recognised & work here. Thanks

I'm not disrespecting your advice, on the contrary. It just frustrates me that it is so hard to find proper work.
    And what are examples of those skills you mean? In Australia they are hair dressing, fixing cars, being an electrician, a plummer.. I don't call them skills but professions.
    I studied physiotherapy in Belgium to make good money later on and have certainty in life. Keep my options open. Now it turns out there are not nearly as many options as I thought.
    Although you did come across as curt, I sense that there is a serious disappointment and disillusionment underlying your queries. I think you have a right to be disappointed. I'm guessing that when you started school, when you made the decision to take on the debt of education, you were probably told not to view it as debt but as an investment in your future. You probably thought you were doing all the right things and have found it difficult to come to terms with the reality of the way the downturn of the global economy has affected you personally. The fact that you are saving money, want to continue to save money, and are reluctant to risk an extra financial burden demonstrate that you are not actually bumming around Australia or whatever. Perhaps some of the frustration with you here is from middle aged people (I am in that category) who don't really understand the deep despair that people just starting out are facing. Times are different and all the safety nets and social benefits that helped hard working people turn that hard work into success are disappearing. I really feel for you because your frustration and disappointment are incredibly palpable. However, I think some of the people here have given you some really good advice. Even in times of an economic boom, most people who get educated in a specific profession have to work their way up within that profession. From chefs to doctors, they all have to spend time working in the field in order to gain "experience". Unfortunately, that often means working for minimum wage or interning. I know you don't want to incur any more debt or use your savings but you're going to have to think outside your ideal reality in order to make your dream happen.

As for NZ, you might come here and find your ideal job straight away. However, chances are that you won't. If you are not willing to take the risk, then you shouldn't do it as you will only become more disappointed.

Good luck to you. The global economy has made things extremely complicated for your generation but much of the advice given here is timeless.

I especially hope you listen to what Daniela/dharder has said here:
    Next time you get into a cab in Belgium, or in the Netherlands, or anywhere in Europe, you will know that the Iranian/Syrian/Algerian etc cab driver might be a teacher of physics, a professor of philosophy, a GP in their respective countries.

If you take nothing else from your time in Australia but understand that not everyone can chose the kind of lives they live, then you have learnt a lot.

I suggest you work for a year or two in Europe and then apply for work in NZ. It will be much easier and the wages much higher. Trying to do a working holiday in a professional field straight out of school is your problem: its not a good idea.

I think you got yourself some really good advice from these guys.. goodluck!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast