Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I need good advice

Default I need good advice

I recently graduated as a physiotherapist in Belgium.
    It's a high value degree (3 bachelor and 2 master years) from a very reputable university, but it seems that any country outside of Europe requires me to do exams if I want to get approved.
    Exams that cost a lot of money to take, and once I pass it takes a long time before I can actually work with it.

I am currently doing random jobs in Australia, because minimum wage is still 18AUD/hour and I can save money this way.
    I keep wondering if I should extend my VISA in Australia or not. It's a nice country but it's very hard to start working as a physio here.
    Therefore I am tempted not to extend my VISA and start a physiotherapy career in New Zealand.

HOWEVER

Many friends that I met in Australia have been traveling in New Zealand and they all tell me it is ridiculously expensive to live there.
    Expenses are similar to Australia and the wages are a lot lower.

I am not planning to waste all my savings in New Zealand in the period that I am not employed as a physiotherapist.
    It is simply too much of a risk.

What is my best strategy? I simply can't figure it out because I have no life experience in New Zealand.

What places are good for employment until my degree is approved? What places are affordable to live and what places aren't?
    What is the exact minimum wage for the random jobs I'll have to do until my uni degree is approved?

What other skills do you have, which you could exploit to earn a living from casual labour? This might help people answer your questions. I guess everyone automatically thinks of WHV holders doing shop/bar/agricultural jobs, which aren't well paid. But suppose before physiotherapy you had had some other line of work, so you could show some expertise, you might be able to earn a lot more than the basic.

Details of minimum wages from the government. http://www.dol.govt.nz/er/pay/minimumwage/

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    What other skills do you have, which you could exploit to earn a living from casual labour? This might help people answer your questions. I guess everyone automatically thinks of WHV holders doing shop/bar/agricultural jobs, which aren't well paid. But suppose before physiotherapy you had had some other line of work, so you could show some expertise, you might be able to earn a lot more than the basic.
    I have no clue why people assume that young people leaving university have other skills than the education they choose.
    We are expected to study, not to do other expertises in the mean time.

I really wonder what a "potential expertise" for a university student may be. I speak 3 languages but that does not allow me to work because I have no official degree for it.
    I am a physiotherapist without working experience, and because I am expected to study I have no expertises such as being a hair dresser or a mechanic or a carpenter.

In Australia it pisses me off that even for a dish washer job people expect you to have experience. You need jobs to get experience and experience to get a job.
    It all comes down to people who decide to give you a chance or not, especially as a physiotherapist without working experience.
    I have settled for no brainer jobs in Australia because wages are good, but I will not settle for a $12/hour job in New Zealand.

I am clever, multilingual and whatever you want but I have no other official qualifications than physiotherapy which seems logical to me.
    You can't expect a doctor to have mechanic experience either.

If it is really too much of a hassle to get a decent job in New Zealand I am tempted to extend my VISA in Australia, do random jobs for another year here and then go for a career in Europe. Switzerland for example has very good terms and conditions and pays me like I should be paid.
    I have no clue why so many countries have unattractive pollicies for educated people trying to enter their countries.

I'm willing to make an effort but not at the cost of my savings. I haven't spent 6 years in college to pick pineapples for minimum wage

Quote Originally Posted by LeavingEurope View Post
    I have no clue why people assume that young people leaving university have other skills than the education they choose.

I really wonder what a "potential expertise" for a university student may be. I speak 3 languages but that does not allow me to work because I have no official degree for it.
    I am a physiotherapist without working experience, and because I am expected to study I have no expertises such as being a hair dresser or a mechanic or a carpenter.

In Australia it pisses me off that even for a dish washer job people expect you to have experience. You need jobs to get experience and experience to get a job.
    It all comes down to people who decide to give you a chance or not, especially as a physiotherapist without working experience.
    I have settled for no brainer jobs in Australia because wages are good, but I will not settle for a $12/hour job in New Zealand.

I am clever, multilingual and whatever you want but I have no other official qualifications than physiotherapy which seems logical to me.
    You can't expect a doctor to have mechanic experience either.

If it is really too much of a hassle to get a decent job in New Zealand I am tempted to extend my VISA in Australia, do random jobs for another year here and then go for a career in Europe. Switzerland for example has very good terms and conditions and pays me like I should be paid.
    I have no clue why so many countries have unattractive pollicies for educated people trying to enter their countries.

I'm willing to make an effort but not at the cost of my savings. I haven't spent 6 years in college to pick pineapples for minimum wage
    I thought that you had received a pretty reasonable reply, but you come across as a arrogant self centered prima donna.

The short answer to you is, go get a job in Switzerland, I am sure they would be very lucky to have you.

I haven't spent 6 years in college to pick pineapples for minimum wage
    Don't then.

Every country has its own rules and regulations and expectations. It really is quite pointless to get all het up about them. Look for a country that will accept what you have or where you are willing to make the necessary compromises, and it shouldn't be an issue.

Of course that might mean you will have to stay in Europe.

Good luck with your endeavours.

Daniela

Minimum wage in NZ is $13.50 an hour BEFORE tax. So much lower than in Australia. The link has been posted above.

Personally I would advise you to get some serious experience in your profession in Belgium or elsewhere in the EU and not waste your time and potential messing about with jobs for which you have not trained. Once you have that experience you can think about emigrating properly and getting a job in your field.

Without experience in bar work, cafe work, admin etc it would probably be difficult for you to get a job here anyway, despite your language skills etc, as there are many, many people here looking for jobs who have experience and university degrees (and no savings, just debt incurred to get a degree, average student loan debt here is $15,000) and who are more than prepared to work for the minimum wage. So, yes, you probably would end up picking apples and blueberries (no pineapples in NZ, much too cold) and living from hand to mouth. Great for a travel and working holiday experience and I know people who have done that sort of thing and loved it. But you have worked hard to get a qualification, so now you just need to get some experience and prove to employers that you are employable. Unfortunately not many employers are that impressed by a stint of dishwashing in Australia straight after graduation.
    Good luck.

This reply strikes me as being extremely curt, when I have just made suggestions which could actually help you to do what you have said you would like to do. It is based in firm fact.

In my time, I have had lucrative career strings from knowledge and qualifications acquired originally in following up personal interests outside my (extensive) formal education. There are many people on this forum who have come to NZ on a WHV and got better than minimum-wage pay using skills learnt on Saturday or holiday jobs. You asked for suggestions for doing something other than the obvious basic beginning of career path, or ticking over on minimum pay while seeing other parts of the world. Don't turn your nose up when people take the trouble to answer you out of experience.

What we would like to hear are your money saving tips - as you said you are earning minimum wage in Australia and can save on that. You certainly wouldn't be able to do any saving on the NZ minimum wage, or maybe I just spend too much.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post

Details of minimum wages from the government. http://www.dol.govt.nz/er/pay/minimumwage/
    First off I welcome you to the forum.
    May I then say that we are all here to give our free time voluntary to help people like yourself to the best of our abilities. What JandM asked was a very reasonable question so more could be found out about your situation and to give you the best advice we can. Many people have other skills that they can use. We do not know this about you unless we ask. I have several qualifications but I make the most money out of being a self taught musician with no training at all.
    So it was a very good question to ask and my good advice to you is to be a bit less off with your replies as we try our best (JandM in particular) to help everyone

I wish you all the best in finding the right situation for you

I'm just completely confused as to why you are in Australia? Or even thinking of New Zealand? It sounds to be like your #1 priority at the moment is to make money. So going back to Europe and using your degree would then make the most sense, right? Perhaps living with family while you save money for your exam? Both Australia and NZ are great places to live (as are many countries in Europe I'm sure), but you probably won't enjoy it here if you are working an unskilled job living in student-type flat shares, when you really would rather be using the skills you were trained for and earning more.

Best of luck to you.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast