Thread: Earthquake safety and renting an apartment in Auckland

Default Earthquake safety and renting an apartment in Auckland

In Wellington there is a freely available list of which buildings are considered risky in the event of an earthquake - is there such a list for Auckland? I tried googling but could not find one. I was told via word of mouth that I could contact the city council and for a fee could assess the earthquake safety reports of individual properties? I am intending to rent an apartment in Auckland and really want to check the earthquake safety status of the building before I commit to a lease.

I know this sounds pretty paranoid considering the fact that Auckland isn't in a high-risk earthquake zone, but when you're from Christchurch, you know it's better to be safe than sorry. After all, Christchurch 'was not on a known fault line', either.

This might not be much help, but I think I remember reading in the NZ Herald a few months ago that there were plans to have such a list available in the future, but as of now it isn't public information. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

There are such lists available for commercial buildings but I don't think there's one for residential. Although large apartment blocks may be different as the effects of an EQ will obviously be magnified in a high rise, compared to a house.