Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Challenge to LTSSL Qualification requirement

Default Challenge to LTSSL Qualification requirement

I submitted an EoI last year, which ultimately failed to gain 140 points and automatic selection from the pool as my qualification for an ICT project manager doesn't match the LTSSL. I had my MSc in IT assessed by the NZQA as a level 9, comparable to an BZ Masters in Business Information Systems but they would not assess its comparability against an NZ BSc in IT, which is the required qualification on the LTSSL.

Can I challenge this with NZIS and request that my qualification plus considerable UK IT work experience and professional industry qualification (PRINCE 2) be taken into account? Would it be useful to solicit backing from the NZ Institute of IT Professionals or other industry body to support my case?

I know my qualifications and experience are good and sufficient for NZ standards, they just don't meet the (rather narrow) BZ LTSSL requirements.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Are you claiming for Bonus Points?

If so, you need to have your BSc degree assessed by NZQA that must be relevant to your work experience (hopefully).

Correct, I'm trying to gain bonus points for work experience and qualifications as an ICT Project Manager but unfortunately my qualification is not an exact match to that stated on the LTSSL.

The NZQA Did not assess my MSc against an NZ BSc, they simply increased my MSc to a 9 on the NZQF from its default rating as an 8, which gives me 10 extra points but still leaves me on only 130 - 10 shirt of the magic number for the skilled migrant category, with no job offer.

The NZQA Did not assess my MSc against an NZ BSc, they simply increased my MSc to a 9 on the NZQF from its default rating as an 8, which gives me 10 extra points but still leaves me on only 130 - 10 shirt of the magic number for the skilled migrant category, with no job offer.[/QUOTE]

I submitted with 130 and no job offer and got selected, while it's not an automatic selection with 130 points you still have a very good chance. You can use the extra time you may be in the pool to have all documents for ITA ready and be in a position to submit straight away to make up some time- just a thought. Stay positive, you are still in a good position.

P. 22 here http://www.nzqa.govt.nz/assets/quali.../guide-IQA.pdf tells you what to do if you want to query or challenge the result you received.

Quote Originally Posted by MaynardFriedman View Post
    Correct, I'm trying to gain bonus points for work experience and qualifications as an ICT Project Manager but unfortunately my qualification is not an exact match to that stated on the LTSSL.

The NZQA Did not assess my MSc against an NZ BSc, they simply increased my MSc to a 9 on the NZQF from its default rating as an 8, which gives me 10 extra points but still leaves me on only 130 - 10 shirt of the magic number for the skilled migrant category, with no job offer.
    If I were in your shoes, I would send EOI with 130 points. It is not a big deal. I bet you that you will have to stay no more than 4 weeks in the pool.
    And..... if you are Briton, the process of verification of work/qualification(s) after lodging the Application for Residence will be done very quickly. (maybe due to integrated systems of e-government) So, even with 130 points, I'm almost sure that you can count on 4-6 months to get you 'blue stickers'.

INZ has certain reasons for not accepting MSc against BSc. They reason that engineers are more prepared for operational work, but people who own MSc are mostly good analysts and are academic. They might be unable to fill the job market demands in NZ.
    Last edited by babak.b; 4th September 2012 at 11:36 PM.

Thanks for the heads up.

Winnie, when did you submit your EoI and get selected?
    Last edited by MaynardFriedman; 5th September 2012 at 12:10 AM.

Winnie,

Did you claim 15 bonus points for work experience in an area of absolute skills shortage? That seems to be an additional caveat for selection from the pool if you have 130 points. Unfortunately I can't claim those points because my qualification isn't recognised, so it would leave me in the same position.

Quote Originally Posted by MaynardFriedman View Post
    Winnie,

Did you claim 15 bonus points for work experience in an area of absolute skills shortage? That seems to be an additional caveat for selection from the pool if you have 130 points. Unfortunately I can't claim those points because my qualification isn't recognised, so it would leave me in the same position.
    Hi ;

I think you can claim 15 bonus point if you have 6 years experience in an area of absolute skills shortage.
    Required qualification outcome by IQA does not matter for work experience bonus point.it is only mater for 10 bonus point of qualification in an area of absolute skills shortage.
    Please correct me if I am wrong..

Hi, I was selected in Feb and I did claim bonus points for work experience and qualification in LTSSL, but as Zakwan said I think you can claim the bonus points for work experience in a field regardless of IQA result, you just can't claim qualification bonus points. From INZ website is the following:
    "Area of absolute skills shortage:
    These areas are occupations in which New Zealand has a significant shortage of skilled workers. These are listed on the Long Term Skill Shortage List (LTSSL). You can qualify for points if you can prove that your current employment or offer of employment meets the specifications of the LTSSL and that you are suitably qualified or experienced for the occupation."

As you have experience of occupation on LTSSL, I think you would qualify - you would have to really prove your work experience was relevent / comparable. More experienced members may guide you better or you could contact your nearest NZ Immigration branch to clarify.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast