Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just dreaming...

Default Just dreaming...

My husband and I live in the U.S., and he is a self-employed, residential builder. He has been doing this for years, and has a lot of experience. At this point, we are merely toying with the idea of moving to NZ, but trying to decide if it would even be feasible. We live on an income of about $40,000 to $45,000 a year here (USD), which, living modestly, is quite comfortable for us (we also have 2 children, both under 2 years of age). He would probably, at least at the beginning, have to work for a company before he could even think about starting his own business. I have tons of ????? going through my head right now, but I guess I'll start with this one: Since construction isn't one of the best-paying jobs, would we be able to live on one income? Is it realistic to think we could find a job in this sector that would pay for an apartment large enough to accomadate a growing family, a car, the basic bills, and still have a little to set aside? As far as where we would live in NZ, we're open to any option

Hello and welcome.

Hi and welcome

I could be really wrong (and trying not to be a downer) but I've never thought of construction being a big industry in NZ, hopfully I'm wrong. You could check out trademe.co.nz, or seek.co.nz and see what shows up in terms of opportunities. Not sure I've answered your question at all!

Under $50k for 4 is pretty good budgeting! I'm jaded though, we're from California and it is sooo expensive.
    I don't have solid answers for you but I feel, given the right circumstances, it is possible. Say for instance, hubby got a LTSSL job http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ls.htm?level=1 (sorry, I can't remember how to make a smaller link) with a similar wage and you lived in an area with lower rents, (there are very nice places like this, but it adds to the commute) and with your budgeting skills, I would think you could have a very similar lifestyle.
    These are my thoughts, not advice or directing a course of action.

There are opportunities for a builder here but it just depends on what your husband can do and how adaptable he can be. My husband is in the construction industry and it is really up and down right now. Check this out: http://www.dbh.govt.nz/occupational-licensing
    NZ has a lot more bureacracy than the US. He would have to come to terms with the way licenses are done here. Also, if he works for a company, there is no overtime pay in NZ.

To be honest with you, I feel that salary will be very tight no matter where you live in NZ. It is enough to live modestly but not enough to have much left over for savings. It is doable as a start, though.

Off topic
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwieagle View Post
    NZ has a lot more bureacracy than the US.
    And that is what i like too about NZ: That we have much less bureaucracy here than we experienced previously - and especially the generally friendly and forthcoming manner in which it is conducted.

All the best with your dream Tabby. There may be construction jobs in Christchurch where they are rebuilding after the earthquake.
    http://www.google.co.nz/#hl=en&gs_nf...iw=992&bih=525

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    Off topic And that is what i like too about NZ: That we have much less bureaucracy here than we experienced previously - and especially the generally friendly and forthcoming manner in which it is conducted.
    Umm, I take it that kiwieagle is claiming that NZ has MORE bureaucracy, not less. I disagree, but it could come down to particular locations in the US. Anyone who thinks red tape in NZ is bad (in the context of the building industry) should try building something in NYC.

To the OP: there are quite a few Americans in working in the building industry in Christchurch, and your husband might stand a good chance of scoring a job here, but it would take some time to become familiar with local design and construction methods, which are really quite different than in the US. Wages aren't great, but he could likely command a slightly better wage than what you're living on now as a site manager (= superintendent in US English).

Quote Originally Posted by sks View Post
    Umm, I take it that kiwieagle is claiming that NZ has MORE bureaucracy, not less. I disagree, but it could come down to particular locations in the US. Anyone who thinks red tape in NZ is bad (in the context of the building industry) should try building something in NYC.
    Perhaps there is less red tape when it comes to actually building something but my experience is that is because nobody innovates due to the hullabaloo you have to go through to do anything different. Many builders can't afford or don't want to be bothered. There is a huge bureaucratic system when it comes to licensing. I'm not saying it's bad to have bureaucracy but it does make one slightly suspicious when you have to take a course to sit a test for something you already have worked at for 15 years and the person who is making money off of the course is the same person administering the test and license. That's without even getting into the content of the course and the effectiveness of the test. Even unskilled labourers have to take courses (which they pay for and often cost more than a days wages) for a variety of tasks. I'm all for making the workplace safer and having high standards but these licenses don't seem to actually achieve anything other than creating an industry for selling courses and licenses. But, yes to Ralf, they do sell you the courses and licenses with a smile.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast