Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meningitis

Default Meningitis

A 12 year old girl has very tragically - and suddenly - died in Wellington this week with suspected meningitis. This has prompted me to check again the status of my child's vaccinations and I realised that whereas in the UK meningitis C is included in the routine immunisation schedule, here in NZ it appears that this is not part of the routine schedule and is not publicly funded for all children. At least this is how I understand the situation to be from internet research. I may be wrong.

http://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/p...ation-schedule

I wonder if any of the medical experts on the forum have any thoughts on this particular matter?

My thoughts are very much with this poor family at the moment.

My husband's cousin's 19 year old eldest son died last September due to meningitis. He lived in Wellington as well. It was quite sudden and a shock to all.

There was some discussion of your question on Radio New Zealand this morning which they will rebroadcast after the show is over http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/programmes/ninetonoon

I see there is a vaccination for it but only given to those without a spleen I think I read, I wonder if they might start opening this up a bit more, at the rate that poor girl deteriorated there really wasn't anything that could be done, it's worrying me I can tell you

Quote Originally Posted by Georgebulldog View Post
    I see there is a vaccination for it but only given to those without a spleen I think I read, I wonder if they might start opening this up a bit more, at the rate that poor girl deteriorated there really wasn't anything that could be done, it's worrying me I can tell you
    Same here. I've just called my doctor's office to see if I can get my daughter vaccinated. I don't care if it costs me some money, it's worth it. They're going to call me back with the answer.

I thought the news story said it was a free vaccine for children under 5 and adults without a spleen (resists making tasteless joke)? I bet they can still give to older kids, it just might cost something?

Quote Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
    ... adults without a spleen (resists making tasteless joke)...
    Ta

When we moved here my youngest was 12 weeks old and had only had his first lot of infant immunisations in the UK, and I had been assured that in NZ they followed the same schedule of vaccinations. When we arrived I realised they didn't do menz C here at all, so my baby was not fully immunised. I asked about getting this done in NZ, and at that time (2007) it was not possible at all, because he didn't meet the criteria....not even if I paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Familyofmonkeys View Post
    When we moved here my youngest was 12 weeks old and had only had his first lot of infant immunisations in the UK, and I had been assured that in NZ they followed the same schedule of vaccinations. When we arrived I realised they didn't do menz C here at all, so my baby was not fully immunised. I asked about getting this done in NZ, and at that time (2007) it was not possible at all, because he didn't meet the criteria....not even if I paid for it.
    Thanks for that info. My and my daughter's doc doesn't work on Wednesdays so he's going to call me tomorrow and have a chat about it, but the answer will probably be 'no' because of the different strains around and the viability of the vaccine.

But,when I got it right what they said in the news, that girl has been vaccinated. Our kids all received the vaccination for meningococcal disease through school in the first year (I think) we were here. The problem might be that there are too many strains around?

According to Dr Annette Nesdale, as she told Kathryn Ryan on RNZ this morning, people vaccinated for the B strain in the late 90's and early 00's are no longer protected by that vaccine. They don't yet know which strain Amanda died from. Joshua died from C and they offered a vaccine to people who were in close contact with him. Perhaps there is a limited supply of the vaccine and they are saving it for those cases.
    Last edited by kiwieagle; 6th September 2012 at 12:03 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast