Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ideal time to arrive???

Default Ideal time to arrive???

Hi All

I seek the experts' suggestion on when is the ideal time to arrive in NZ? I got my Silver Fern JSV approved and I have to enter NZ before end of January 2013. I am currently serving my 3 months notice period with my employer until last week of October 2012. Is it good to arrive in NZ by November to start my job hunt? I work in the IT industry as Business Support Analyst and Project Coordinator.

Many say that November to January will be dull period for job search as most people will go on summer vacation and Xmas holidays. If that is the case, will there not be more demand during this period to find replacements? Kindly let me know the best time to arrive so that I can use my visa wisely as I will have only 9 months to stay in NZ under this Silver fern visa.

Cheers
    Madhav

If that is the case, will there not be more demand during this period to find replacements?
    No. NZers are accustomed to the fact that businesses and organizations just tick over on skeleton staff over the summer. You can't rely on things picking up, and those responsible enough to hire staff being around consistently once more, until the end of the holidays/new school year, which is around the end of January or beginning of February.

So, arriving in NZ in first week of November is no good time to start with the job search? I have to enter NZ by 31 Jan 2013 as mentioned in my passport.

I'm sure others will have comments, but judging on what we've heard before, I think you'd be INCREDIBLY lucky to land a job in the month or so that is all you would have before the start of the holidays, unless you had an opening with people that were already negotiating before you arrived.

Hi.. what i have seen from the past two years (in our company) normally they wind off /atleast aim to windoff all projects before mid december and go for holidays and factories will normally be completely shut down (i work in the engineering sector of a company which employs 75% of employees in its factory). There will be only one or two (normally new guys who joined in september/october and havent accumulated enuf leaves to go on vacation)working over the holidays and take care of any maintenance issues arising in that period. Hence no demand for replacements.
    Normally, recruitments will be virtually nill between 1st week of Dec till 3rd week of January.

Quote Originally Posted by maddy13885 View Post
    Hi All

Many say that November to January will be dull period for job search as most people will go on summer vacation and Xmas holidays. If that is the case, will there not be more demand during this period to find replacements? Kindly let me know the best time to arrive so that I can use my visa wisely as I will have only 9 months to stay in NZ under this Silver fern visa.

Cheers
    Madhav

I arrived in December. I met with recruitment agencies, got registered, and then think got sent to some interviews for jobs they had hanging around for ages and couldn't find anyone for, regardless of fit to actual CV...

At the end of January, there is a big recruitment section in the NZ Herald, and that seemed to signal the start again. From experience, I would not go job hunting in December and January at all, and only start beginning of February (when school starts again).

Personally, I'd come in January, hope for some decent weather, and then start the job search end of Jan/beginning of Feb.

Good luck,
    Daniela

Quote Originally Posted by dharder View Post
    I arrived in December. I met with recruitment agencies, got registered, and then think got sent to some interviews for jobs they had hanging around for ages and couldn't find anyone for, regardless of fit to actual CV...

At the end of January, there is a big recruitment section in the NZ Herald, and that seemed to signal the start again. From experience, I would not go job hunting in December and January at all, and only start beginning of February (when school starts again).

Personally, I'd come in January, hope for some decent weather, and then start the job search end of Jan/beginning of Feb.

Good luck,
    Daniela
    Thanks for the good advice and sharing your views. I am starting to apply for jobs from India at the moment keeping options open about traveling anytime if I can schedule few interviews. I hope I find some offer in hand before I arrive there.. Wish me good luck

Quote Originally Posted by maddy13885 View Post
    Many say that November to January will be dull period for job search as most people will go on summer vacation and Xmas holidays. If that is the case, will there not be more demand during this period to find replacements?

Usually during this period most of the companies (that I know of) hold onto all new IT releases (blackout period) and only support teams operates to look after the systems, I think its also customary for rest of the (non support) staff to take compulsory leaves - hence the demand is usually low.

So, what i concluded from that, to not travel to NZ for jub hunting before February. And starting from February, recruitment activities will start. For me i expect to land there last week of jan as I should be there before 1st february.

By the way, It is hard to find a job while you are outside the country. This is what i am facing now. I started applying for jobs through Seek for one month, and until now, i didn't get even one interview. it is not easy at all. i don't know what will happen if i go there. Will it turn to be easier or it become difficult

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast