Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bye Canada

Default bye Canada

The last of the good-bye meals was last night. The 3 suitcases are nearly packed; ditto the two carry-ons (yay for Gold status and extra luggage allowances). There's also the final load of laundry, tidying up, a quick grocery shop so Himself has some food when he gets back next week from his Dad's in Ireland. Then it's off to the airport late this arvo, a 14 hour flight, and a new phase of my life begins. Finally!

And yet, I feel profoundly sad.

I came to Canada from the US in 1989 as a confused and troubled young man. That impulsive, badly executed move was, in hindsight, a turning point.

Having brought a host of personal issues with me I quickly crashed and burned in a strange city and surprisingly strange country. I needed help--a lot of help--and received it. Government and community-based organizations were here for me and rather quickly I gained an equilibrium missing from my life 'til that point. Over the next two decades I was able to return to school, complete graduate studies and create a rewarding and enervating third career that's sustained me personally, professionally and economically ever since. And I've made the best friends I've ever had--family really. I also learnt how to snowboard, ski, cross-country ski and ice skate. And watch hockey and curling.

As I move towards NZ I am leaving Canada, but not leaving Canada behind. Unlike many others my attachment to my homeland is marginal at best: aside from family I feel little attachment to the US. I am Canadian in my heart. And, I hope and pray, will always remain so. Au revoir, à bientôt: until we see each other again, soon.

But I am *so* looking forward to that first flat white tomorrow. Um, er, the day after tomorrow, since I don't get a Thursday 06 September this year thanks to the International Date Line.

That has triggered the emotional thoughts in me now... Am undecided on when am leaving but I should definitely overcome this thought of moving up for the best of my life..

And best wishes for a wonderful start and awesome life in NZ. Happy and Safe Flight

Safe journey and happy landings. Thinking of you on your travels.

You're absolutely right - at each point when you move on in life in a measured way, you carry on with you as part of yourself all the good you've taken notice of. If you want to.

Safe flying and happy landing in NZ !!!

Have a safe flight and welcome to NZ

Thanks for sharing and safe travels!

Congrats!

I'm sorry but can't help to ask why move from Canada to NZ? Many people from my country emigrate to these two countries but the number of people moving to Canada far outweighs those who come to NZ, I observed this many times, from going to clinic for medical exams, to pre departure orientation required by our Government. If Canada is such as better country in general (I know this is relative), why would you move from Canada to NZ, both countries offering socialized healthcare and education?

Bon Voyage!

Beautifully said, I hope the next phase of your journey is as rewarding as the last.

Welcome to NZ! You should have landed by now. Hope it is a wonderful new chapter of your life. Best of luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast