Thread: Nearly there but the stress is getting to me!

Wink Nearly there but the stress is getting to me!

So in the last 4 weeks we've managed to book flights and a stopover in KL, book temporary furnished accommodation in Auckland for our first 2 months, book shipping company, sort shipping insurance, agree a sale on our house (unbelievably sold for a decent price in 2 weeks to a non chain buyer!), hand in our notice, organise leaving do, clear out the loft and cellar and all alongside both of us working fulltime and caring for two kids. Its fair to say I'm close to breaking point now feel like a zombie and still got a week left at work!

Quick questions -1) has anyone managed to access online banking with Barclays from NZ? I am definitely going to have things still to sort out here after we leave

2) Is it worth opening a bank account in NZ from here?

3) How long does the actual shipping take? I've been told to expect our stuff 10 -12 weeks after it leaves here with John Mason which is longer than I currently have booked in temp accommodation, is it better to play it by ear when we get there? I'm planning to find unfurnished accommodation and tie our move in date with when our stuff arrives -is that even possible?

4) Any tips on how to find decent rentals? It seems like the best ones get snapped up before hitting TRade me etc

5) I'm looking at Browns Bay or somewhere like Mission Bay, Orakei or St Heliers for longer term. I don't want to rent somewhere that we can't afford to buy later on any thoughts? Rental budget of up to $700 a week for 3 bed house. Hubby will be commuting to CBD but we're planning to buy a cheap car when we get there.

Phew I'm sure there's more my brain's like a sieve we leave in 2 weeks!!!

Thanks
    Vicki

Quote Originally Posted by VickiK View Post
    Quick questions -1) has anyone managed to access online banking with Barclays from NZ? I am definitely going to have things still to sort out here after we leave - Yes - my husband went out 6 months before the kids and I did and left me his bank card and card reader just in case it didn't work from NZ. But he was able to log on no problem from here - while I was still in the UK, I used the reader to get the code and told him over the phone. Since I've got here, he's been doing everything here with no problem

2) Is it worth opening a bank account in NZ from here? Don't know, but someone else will!

3) How long does the actual shipping take? I've been told to expect our stuff 10 -12 weeks after it leaves here with John Mason which is longer than I currently have booked in temp accommodation, is it better to play it by ear when we get there? I'm planning to find unfurnished accommodation and tie our move in date with when our stuff arrives -is that even possible? - That sounds about right. We are renting unfurnished, but hubby managed to get the essentials cheaply or on TradeMe before the kids and I arrived. Can always be resold when our own things arrive./

4) Any tips on how to find decent rentals? It seems like the best ones get snapped up before hitting TRade me etc - We got ours through TradeMe but as I said above, Hubby was already here. I found agents wouldn't reply to any queries before he was in the country.

5) I'm looking at Browns Bay or somewhere like Mission Bay, Orakei or St Heliers for longer term. I don't want to rent somewhere that we can't afford to buy later on any thoughts? Rental budget of up to $700 a week for 3 bed house. Hubby will be commuting to CBD but we're planning to buy a cheap car when we get there. - we're further out, in Orewa, but managed to get a fabulous 3 bed rental for under $500 a week - so there are some out there. When you get here, register with all the agents and keep checking TradeMe - we were almost despairing before we found this one!
    Hope the next 2 weeks aren't too stressful - as a wise person on here told me, it will all get done in time - simply because it has to

Don't worry about the rental till you get here, because it is really hard to get a good idea of what you are seeing via the photos. We are currently looking now and it is amazing to see how different the photos are from the real deal. We have spent two days looking so far and have seen a lot of crap, I won't lie, but I am still an eternal optimist and I am certain we'll find something. Best of luck to you.

We've just booked flights and a KL stop-over but not until Jan. Will also be moving to Browns Bay area as that's where we lived on our first visit. I would say it's worth opening an NZ bank account from here (we've gone with BNZ), as it's easy to do and you can pre-book a time to drop into the bank and pick up your bank cards there and then. You can also transfer money into it with immediate effect (it acts like a holding account).

My main worry is I don't have my visa through yet but are set on a January move!!! Oh well, lets hope the visa comes through in time!!

Re. the second question - Opening bank account in NZ while in UK - It's good way to bring your money securely for sure, if at all if you guys are planning to carry more than 10K. I had migrant account open in Westpac whic you can apply online and within a day they'll send the account details to email. Once you have the account operating; you ca either do SWIFT (telagraphic) transfer. I'm not sure who could give you the best exchange rate through.. try checking with your existing bank.. Have a safe and enjoyable journey!!!

Btw, how much is the letting fee in Auckland? and how much do you need to deposit?

I remember being so exhausted when I left the UK. I was not sleeping well with so much to do and worked almost to my last day in the UK.

However once on the way to the airport we started to relax and just enjoy the journey.......not long now....

Online access to Barclays absolutely no problem but make sure you get access to telephone banking as well as address changing is nigh on impossible without it.

Simon