Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Decision to migrate to NZ!

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    This would be a good place to remind people, in case anyone starts looking up crime statistics, that NZ uses a different system from many other countries.
    I know this is being said each time that this issue comes up, but would you have a link handy that explains this in relation to a particular statistic? And if this is a difference applying to all statistics? I have only read that crime can be reported that way, but I haven't found anything to say that this is the general guidance on how crime is recorded in NZ.

Thanks,

Daniela

I'll have a look. I seem to remember doing the same two or three years back - if I find it this time, I'll bookmark it.

http://www.stats.govt.nz/tools_and_s.../overview.aspx (my bolding)

All reports of incidents, whether from victims, witnesses, third parties, or discovered by police, and whether crime-related or not, will result in the registration of an incident report by police. The incident will be recorded as one or more offences if:

the circumstances as reported amount to a crime defined by law, and
    there is no credible evidence to the contrary
    .or if

an incident was not reported as an offence, but upon investigation police determine that an offence is likely to have been committed.
    The Crime Statistics paragraph (well, and the rest of the article and its backup notes) here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_i...ime_statistics has some interesting information, too.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    http://www.stats.govt.nz/tools_and_s.../overview.aspx (my bolding)

The Crime Statistics paragraph (well, and the rest of the article and its backup notes) here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_i...ime_statistics has some interesting information, too.
    Yes, I think those are the pages I read, too, but it doesn't actually say much about what is recorded how, it just says it can. I will look at the rest, and investigate further.

Thanks for the links,

Daniela

I don't read it only as saying it CAN. 'All reports of incidents... will result in the registration of an incident report by police.' Then, if what has happened matches what any NZ law states is a crime, in will go a record. I think. And that's what's always been said before on this subject. Do you know any obliging NZ police officers to check it with?

Thank you all for the replies! When I read at my thread, I can only say 'wow'...so many had responded to me and I am really feel that I am ready to move over to NZ! This forum really answered my worries... Thank you all again.

Quote Originally Posted by Cpyap View Post
    Hi can anyone tell me it is safe to live in NZ..Auckland especially. I have four kids age 3,6,10 and 12. We were planning to migrate to NZ because of the better quality of life in NZ but I had been reading a lot of negative forum or articles from other emigrant asking not to go to NZ because of high crime rate, bullies in school, discrimination, poor education etc..I am really confused after reading all this forum. I had just submitted my EOI from my migration agent who lives in Auckland. I had also visited Auckland twice this year and everyone was so friendly whether they are kiwis or Maoris. They give perfect informations at any where of the information counters and they are really helpful. I went to schools and they were mostly very happy to assist my special needs daughter whom I had difficulties of looking for a suitable school for her. But when I am back to Malaysia, most of the forum talk bad things about NZ till the extend of asking not to migrate to NZ especially if we have kids.
    Can anyone assure me that this place is not as bad as in Malaysia where I was robbed and slashed at my fingers last year with my 10 years old daughter in my car. Till now I am still having phobia of getting into my car and my poor girl have to go true counseling session to overcome her fear.
    Will apreciate it if anyone can help me to tell me the truth!
    Thank you.
    Hi there fellow country man,

As for NZ, I can honestly say that if this is not the best place in the world for families and bringing up your young ones, I cannot honestly name another country.

I can only speak for Christchurch...it is lovely and great place if you want a quieter pace of life. Although it is smaller than Auckland...it dos have all the conveniences of a big city with malls etc etc...too many in fact...it feels very village like and the people here are friendly and very family orientated.

Google up "Safest Country in the world" and you will see New Zealand frequently appearing top 3.

Malaysia is not doing too badly too, coming in about the 20th position.

That's if you believe in these scores. At the end of the day, it will depend on which part of the country you are in and what kind of activities you frequently get yourselves in.

http://voices.yahoo.com/top-5-safest...ld-685000.html
    http://1-everything.blogspot.com/201...-in-world.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12