Thread: Importing white goods

Default Importing white goods

Hi all!
    Ok, a simple question but one I can't find an answer to:-
    We intend to buy some white goods- fridge freezer, washing machine etc to bring with us to NZ. We can buy them duty free easily enough, but do we have to have used them in order to avoid customs duty on entry to NZ?
    And what constitutes "using" them? Easy enough with a fridge and washing machine - turn on, turn off, possibly fill and empty = used (although it would be so much easier not to have to), but I'm seeing problems with the oven and hob...

It is my understanding that you have to own them for six months prior to shipping.

I'd read on here somewhere that people tend remove all orginal packing and get the packers to repack in their packaging to make the item look used. I don't know what the offical policy is regarding how long your suposed to have owned the item but I think its really down to whether or not the container is inspected and if they appears new to the inspectors. Do you not intend to use the goods at all prior to shipping even just for a week to test they work ok?

Hey Jenny. There's no reason we can't try out some of the stuff, (although the washing machine might be troublesome due to a lack of room at home, and the stairs) - and certainly change the packaging. As you say, there's the question of inspection and also whether anyone would know the items were new.
    I think I must sound really stingy, but it could save us a few hundred pounds worth of taxes and right now, with this move, it all makes a difference (as almost all the money is going out and very, very little coming in).

IMO, I find it all too simple to just throw away the packaging and run the white ware goods a few times just to avoid paying any GST. I would be more inclined to own the item for at least 6 months and still keep all the packaging as it's quite useful when shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Drains View Post
    Hey Jenny. There's no reason we can't try out some of the stuff, (although the washing machine might be troublesome due to a lack of room at home, and the stairs) - and certainly change the packaging. As you say, there's the question of inspection and also whether anyone would know the items were new.
    I think I must sound really stingy, but it could save us a few hundred pounds worth of taxes and right now, with this move, it all makes a difference (as almost all the money is going out and very, very little coming in).
    We're planning a huge Ikea trip before we move out to stock up on matching wardrobes, storage units, kids bedroom furntiure etc so hubby is going to have a fun time unpacking everything building it all up to check its all there and dismantling it all! As far as I'm aware there's no Ikea in NZ nearest is OZ. White goods wise we're only taking our tumble dryer and american style fridge freezer - if we can get it back out the kitchen, it was a nightmare to get in! The washer and dishwasher match the kitchen so will have to stay. I did consider buying replacements to take out but think we'll just wait to see whats included in any propety we end up renting/buying. We're doing this not for the GST saving but because its cheaper to buy these kind of things in the UK from what I've been told.

Re keeping the packaging from what I'd read packers seem to want to do all the packing in their own boxes/made to measure packaging for consistency on size and quality. - this may also be to do with teh insurance aswell?

You might want to consider the need for wardrobes, from personal experience, all the houses we have looked at have built in wardrobes, so stand alone might be redundant........... use your money for something else.