Thread: Places for a long weekend

Default Places for a long weekend

Any suggestions for a long weekend within a reasonable drive from Cambridge, Hamilton area in the Waikato? Looking for coast (either) and probably looking at a Bach, 2 adults and 2 boys, 5/7. Looking at mid to late Jan.
    Thanks.

I hear the Coromandel is amazing. My friends have told us we need to head out that way. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

I second the Coromandel. It is an amazing place. Have you been to Raglan? It's great surfing there.

If you're looking for someplace really quiet, and an amazing beach (where you can dig your own hotwater spa at low tide), I'd suggest Kawhia. Rent a bach, go horseback riding around Aotea Harbour with the puhutakawa trees in bloom, do some fishing or spear some flounder, and have a campfire on the beach. The weekend will pass far too quickly.

Hot Water Beach is close to Paihia - it's amazing especially when experienced with rain

Quote Originally Posted by Nice Moustache View Post
    Hot Water Beach is close to Paihia - it's amazing especially when experienced with rain
    Isn't Hot Water Beach on the Coromandel? Not that it matters but you wouldn't want to drive to BOI looking for it.

I've heard good things about Waihi Beach from relatives, who've rented baches there for long weekends.

Hot water beach, although amazing, was so crowded, I was so disappointed, it was hard to even get a piece to dig & this was in April, I dread to think what it's like in January. Coromandel is lovely though

We stayed at a lovely bach in Hot Water Beach in March in Surf Sounds Cottage. Full of character, but very clean and comfortable. The children would love The Waterworks, it is fun in the crowd digging your spa pool, there is a lively little ferry to Whitianga....plus walks and beaches. The Coromandel is lovely.
    Last edited by Mamee & Co; 14th September 2012 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nice Moustache View Post
    Hot Water a beach is close to Pauanui, not Paihia. We have stayed at Hahei and Whangamata, which both have lovely kid friendly beaches. Whangamata has a bigger community so a few more amenities. Hot Water Beach is quite cool as a place to visit but the ocean can be tricky so be sure to be careful if you swim there.

If you do a loop drive past Coromandel Town, a stop at the Driving Creek Railway is a lot of fun. We have been several times and enjoyed it every time.