Thread: Nursing pay scales - what will I earn?

Default Nursing pay scales - what will I earn?

I am coming to NZ in 2 weeks on a WHV with a view to switching to a more permanent visa once I get a job. I will be almost 3 years post registration in general adult nursing and am just trying to establish where I will be on the nursing pay scale. I am fully IV trained and am also a registered mentor to students in the UK. I was also the diabetes link nurse as part of my previous role. All my experience is in surgical nursing (inc. general surgery, upper GI, plastics, orthorpaedics, vascular and head injuries). I'm not expecting to earn any or much more than in the UK but am not sure whereabouts I fit on the pay scale - I'm not newly qualified but I'm not sure where my level of experience places me.

Anyone able to give me a vague idea?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hellybelly7 View Post
    I am coming to NZ in 2 weeks on a WHV with a view to switching to a more permanent visa once I get a job. I will be almost 3 years post registration in general adult nursing and am just trying to establish where I will be on the nursing pay scale. I am fully IV trained and am also a registered mentor to students in the UK. I was also the diabetes link nurse as part of my previous role. All my experience is in surgical nursing (inc. general surgery, upper GI, plastics, orthorpaedics, vascular and head injuries). I'm not expecting to earn any or much more than in the UK but am not sure whereabouts I fit on the pay scale - I'm not newly qualified but I'm not sure where my level of experience places me.

Anyone able to give me a vague idea?

Thanks

I know the scales are for nurses with less than 5 or 6 yr experience and then more than that experience, it does not increase with each yr like in the US or UK. I have been a nurse 22 yrs and I earn $62, 500 ish before tax. I work in a hospital in ED.

You cannot, as far as I am aware, have a permanent contract job on a WHV. It must be for a temporary job only. Someone else on here will know more on this.

I am on scale 4 with 2 years post reg and get $56,600. I work in the community and as far as I know we get paid a higher rate than ward nurses. I think that might be because they get enhancements for unsociable hours which bumps up their pay packet. I guess you will earn more than the UK but as I found, the working week here is 40 hours not 37.5 so you're working longer hours anyway.

Your mentor qualification might not be recognised here, mine isn't.

I've only been here 6 months and am still learning how things work.

Whereabouts are you looking to live?

I am not familiar with the WHV as I came with Residency. You cal also work other than full time though. I was working 4 8 hr shifts per week and just went casual.

You can only work on a WHV on a temporary/short term contract, but lots of people do this as a foot in the door, with the employer giving that in the first place, and offering a permanent one they can show to INZ to qualify for a work visa or residence application. It sounds as if that's what the OP intends to do.

Yeah apologies, I meant that I hope to get a temporary contract on the WHV with a view to applying for a residence visa (or something else more permanent) once I'm in that position. I have spoken to a recruitment agency who is confident that I'll find work fairly easily doing it this way. I just wasn't really sure what to expect salary wise.

We are hoping to settle and find work in Wellington but ultimately, it will have to be wherever the OH find work as it might not be as easy for him. Fingers crossed though! A little over 2 weeks til we leave the UK so it's all starting to feel quite real now.

I have been doing agency work here in addition to my full time hours for the last few months so a longer working week shouldn't feel too much different.

Thanks for your help!

Hi,

The nursing pay rates are generally defined by a national collective agreement (a MECA) - if you put MECA, NZNO (NZ nurses organisation) into Google, you'll be able to view it all - with pay rates, steps, qualifications and even stuff like your holiday entitlement etc.

They can vary by region, but only usually on technicalities - e.g. whether a night shift is before 10pm or 9.30pm etc.

That should tell you EXACTLY what you'll get!!