Thread: thoughts on Waiheke Island?

Default thoughts on Waiheke Island?

I seem to remember that at least one person here was living on Waiheke. I'm hoping to get some views on what it is like to live there?

My husband will be working at the university of auckland (which as I recall is close to downtown) if we do end up in Auckland at all. Is Waiheke a reasonable commute? I know the island is big, so how far we are from the ferry would make a difference in the commute time. He would be taking the bus too.

Also, I'm wondering about the water issue? Everyone catches water off their roof for drinking and everything else? Is that right?

We have preschool age kids, so anything anyone might know about the schools would be great.

We spent a day on the island during our visit and I thought it was heavenly- but I'm not much of a big city person, so that is why I'm attracted to living there instead of one of the 'burbs.

Thanks very much

Hi Tigerlily

Have a look at this previous post : http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....waiheke+island

Tigerlily

The link in singels post above contains a post from me which is still pretty accurate.

Monthly return on the ferry is now £265 per month. (but you do get discounted coffee/wine and beer. plus the free us rides)

Walk to the University from the ferry terminal is about 20 minutes up hill. You can check out likely bus journeys at

www.maxx.co.nz

Britomart (next to ferry terminal) to University.

and ferry times are at

www.fullers.co.nz

We are still enjoying it here. Unfortunately can't provide any comparisons with life on the mainland as we havent lived there. I think we would be enjoying it even more if we were commited to living here - we won't know where we will ultimately end up until employment is more settled. If Rhonda ends up working an unreasonable distance from the ferry terminal then we will move somewhere more convenient

From my own point of view my only bugbear with living here is that you are tied to Ferry times - a bit like commuting by train. and I cannot just jump in the car and go and buy some car parts or something like that on a saturday without having to get the ferry, wlak to the car park pick up the mainland car then drive. - adds about 4 hours to a 1/2 hour trip out.

Jon

Thanks to both of you, very helpful indeed!

Jon,
    perhaps this added trouble to getting out shopping is a good thing for me, I'll have less to spend anyway!

You mean you don't have one of those funky amphibious cars?