Thread: New Plymouth - anything that an unsuspecting newcomer should be aware of?

Default New Plymouth - anything that an unsuspecting newcomer should be aware of?

Good morning (where I am!).

I'm wondering if anyone has ideas about the following:

Before long I should be living permanantly in NZ and New Plymouth is one of the strongest options, largely due to its proximity to both the ocean and to Mount Taranaki.

Does anyone have any comments for or aganst the idea of living there? Is there anything that an unsuspecting newcomer should be aware of?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

S

Hello and welcome.

Pop "Taranaki" and "New Plymouth" into the search bar and see what other ENZers have said

Welcome to the forum.

Hello & welcome.

My mother-in-law if from New Plymoth, born and raised. Until late last year her Mum lived there and two of her sisters still do. She says she'd hang herself before moving back, her words.

(From New Plymoth she went to Palmerston North (uni), Kaitaia (placement) then Auckland.)
    Last edited by G-Mo; 21st September 2012 at 12:13 PM.

Hi... just an observation on living "permenantly" in NZ.... we both have been here in NZ as Perm Residents for nearly 5 years now. We moved from Scotland to New Plymouth and initially rented, with the full intention of buying our first property there. HA!!.... oh the best laid plans...we have moved 4 times and have ended up in Nelson. Point being that some times it can be preferable to rent and "try before you buy" in several areas (job willing I guess) rather than buying the first place that feels like home.... If we had bought in NP then we would probably still be there and not had the incredible journey of discovery in our new adopted country that we have been able to have by being nomads for a bit.... hope that makes sense??... and as for NP... we enjoyed it but for us it was a little too busy and too much like the place we had just left behind so we moved!!... and then we moved again... lol! All down to personal circumstances, but there are lots of points and help and thoughts on this forum and the folk are real friendly....

Hi Sydneys

I have lived in New Plymouth for 15 months, and my wife and 13 year old daughter have been here the last nine months. I like it alot, my wife and daughter are warming up to it slowly. It is very quiet and it is isolated, about 4 hours to both Auckland and Wellington. It's a nice size, 60,000 or so, but you see people you know constantly around town. People are very friendly and we have a busier social life than we did in the US. Lots of parks and walking trails. Please feel free to ask any specific questions. Rush hour traffic last about 10 minutes.

R

Hi Sydneys,
    I am English but have been living here in New Plymouth for 8 1/2 years now. I only planned to be in NZ for a 1 year working holiday but am still here!. I guess it depends largely on what you do for a job and what your interests or hobbies are. I think that New Plymouth is a great place to live if you like the outdoors - the coast and mountain are only about half an hour apart, so great for water sports and hiking. There are also a lot of parks and gardens, festivals and events here, surprising for a town this size. People are very friendly and laid back and I just love it here. The longer you stay the harder it is to leave! There si something really magical about Mt Taranaki - just check out Taranaki Like no Other Facebook page for comments from people on the region and what they love or miss about it. There are a lot of expats here too because of the industries here which means that it is pretty culturally diverse and accepting. There is also a great art / cafe / coffee / restaurant scene here too, but if you are after huge nightlife you are probably in the wrong place. there are a few really good websites you might like to check out, try www.taranaki.info but if you have any specific questions please don't hesitate to ask. C

I don't live in NP but travel up here to work half the time. To be honest I'm not sold on the place, it's a bit quiet and run down and a long way from anywhere. Saying that though, all my expat friends who live here love it so there must be something I'm missing! Maybe it's a bit like peoples perception of Aberdeen - if you're visiting/passing through for work then it can be grim and miserable for as a place to live and bring up a family, it's fantastic. I always try and give NP the benefit of the doubt because of this but.....