Thread: Help with cabin baggage limits

Default Help with cabin baggage limits

Please can someone have a read of the below links and let me know if you are interpreting the cabin baggage allowances the same as I am? I just want to double check I'm reading it right so I don't leave too much to fit into the luggage for the plane (the shippers are coming on Monday and I need to get everything organised for shipping versus flight).

So we are flying economy from London to Auckland on Malaysian, so we have one checked bag each weighing a max of 20kg, then we have 1 piece of cabin baggage each within the size limits (i.e. a small suitcase), and then one piece of hand baggage - i.e. my handbag or OH's laptop case.

Then we are flying on from Auckland to Wellington on Jetstar. I have booked 20kgs of checked luggage each as the sizes for the cabin baggage seem to be the same as they are on Malaysian. However what I am slightly unclear about is whether in addition to the cabin baggage - the small suitcase that fits in their size limits, we can also take a piece of hand baggage. I think I will be ok taking my handbag, assuming I've understood the information correctly, but will OH be ok with his laptop case or is that going to be too big?

Thanks, I know it's a small thing but it's worrying me.

http://www.jetstar.com/au/en/plannin...rry-on-baggage

http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/uk/e...d-baggage.html

For our Starter Fares you are permitted one main item of carry-on baggage and one other small item, with a total combined weight of up to 10kg.
    The additional small item you bring on board could be:

a handbag,
    pocket book or purse, coat,
    umbrella,
    or for international flights, approved duty free goods.

Each piece must be able to fit under the seat in front of you, or in an enclosed storage compartment in the cabin of the aircraft.

I would say as long as your handbag isn't the size of a small house and it is a small laptop then I think you would be okay. We flew with AirNZ and I took a mid sized handbag and OH took his laptop.

This is the kind of thing I worry about too. The thing we did notice on our domestic flights from Auckland to Tauranga - with Airnz last year - was they were strict on the hand baggage size and weight guidelines. Also when we came home and went through into departures at Auckland we had to weigh our hand luggage - we were a bit over but it seemed okay - though others behind us with heavy bags were pulled aside. I don't know what they had to do with their extra weight.

I think if in doubt the best course of action is to check with the airlines.

Good luck with the shippers on Monday

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Yes, you should be fine.

However, CHECK THE WEIGHT. A number of airlines will also weigh your hand baggage as I think the limit is 7kgs per item. If your carry on bag is over this, you will either be asked to check it in or swap some stuff into your checked bag - which then runs the risk of tipping that over the limit and leaving you to pay excess baggage. If you have a larger carry-on, they are more likely to check it. And again if the flight is full.

E.g. I flew back to the UK at Xmas with Etihad. On the flight back from Manchester, they were weighing both checked and carry on and if you were over limit, they were being pretty regimented about it. So it's not just about size, it's also weight.

Lauralocks, I think you need to check how each airline interprets it, and take a printout of the answer. When you get to the check-in, there's no leeway, and you can end up trying to pack things to post them on, or having to throw them away. The last few times I've flown, from various UK airports, they've ALWAYS weighed my hand luggage as well making it go in the size-checker.

i have had harder times with carry-on weights on budget carriers than ever with mainstream carriers and checked baggage weights. Err on the side of caution (multiple scales or aim for 1KG under for each bag packed, checked or carry-on).

And wear a big coat with lots of pockets

In case you haven't come across them, portable digital baggage scales (for instance http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nk...luggage+scales) are great - SO much better than trying to balance things on the bathroom ones. And you can have them with you in a pocket, in case of being tempted to buy anything at the airport.

Good hint - and useful, as I've just realised we've shipped our bathroom scales which we were using to weigh the luggage! D'oh!

Second the 'wear lots of pockets' idea, too!