Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bachelor's degree qualification assessed only as Diploma level 5 :(

Unhappy Bachelor's degree qualification assessed only as Diploma level 5 :(

Hello,

My husband and I got our PAR results yesterday and we were very disappointed that our Bachelor's degree in Computer Science (gained in the Philippines) was only assessed as diploma level 5

We are initially planning to apply in the SMC category as we believe we can claim points under the LTSSL, but since our qualifications were assessed only as level 5, we are not sure now if our EOIs still have a chance to be chosen As we all know, the ICT category in LTSSL requires level 7 qualification.

BTW, my husband will be the main applicant and when we tried to re-calculate our points without claiming any bonus from LTSSL, we only managed to garner 120 points (without a job offer). Can anyone give us advise if it's still worth submitting an EOI? Do we still have a chance to be selected from the pool?

Thanks in advance!

Hello and welcome.

PAR is not necessarily the final word on your qualifications - it's only an approximate guess, for which NZQA simply look at the title of your qualification and the length of time you spent overall studying. If that same qualification is assessed for IQA, then they have your course syllabus, transcripts and mark sheets, and they look in detail at the topics covered, and the time and depth you spent on each, so then there is a genuine basis for comparing your award with any NZ ones, and arriving at a level.

Hi JCJP, JandM is correct the details of your qualifications will be assessed during IQA. In our case, my partner's qualification is bachelor's degree in computer engineering but after nzqa assessment, it was assessed as comparable to bachelors degree in information and computer science. We have no issues with that because we still got the level7. What I would like to highlight is, they stated that in philippines, the qualification for a computer engineering, eventhough the length of the course is 5years, two years of which were just elective (basic subjects). they did not include the basic subjects in the credits only the 3year major studies.

You may need to double check the syllabus or your transcripts to check the duration of your basic subjects, because for sure NZQA will not credit these. Ofcourse, this is just my opinion based on experience. The final assessment will still come from NZQA once they have assessed your qualifications.

Goodluck to both of you!

Thanks JandM and trevore

Do you think it will be better for our qualifications to be assessed for IQA before submitting an EOI? and if ever we had it assessed for IQA, and it still gave us the level 5 result, can we still lodge an EOI under SMC if we are basically not in the LTSSL and cannot claim any points for that?

Many thanks again and I am hoping for your patience in answering my queries as I am a newbie.

Regards to all.

How many points do you get, as things stand? See the points indicator (linked to from this page) and the other requirements here. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ant/caniapply/ You have to meet these requirements, which include having at least 100 points.

In your place, I would put in for the IQA.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    How many points do you get, as things stand? See the points indicator (linked to from this page) and the other requirements here. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ant/caniapply/ You have to meet these requirements, which include having at least 100 points.

In your place, I would put in for the IQA.
    Hi JandM, upon calculating our points we got a score of 120, does this mean we can still submit our eoi even if we no longer meet the qualification to claim points in the ltssl? Thank you.

See the links on that page about skilled employment and a recognized qualification - it depends what the requirements are to count as qualified for your career, as well as how many points you get.

What job does whichever of you intends to be the main applicant do?

i say submit the EOI with 120 points. if no luck after 6 months, have your qualification accessed by NZQA.
    BUT if you have the financial capacity, you can submit the EOI while claiming 120 points and at the same time have your qualification accessed by NZQA then after 30 days update your EOI points with the outcome of your IQA result (i believe you can edit your EOI online).

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    See the links on that page about skilled employment and a recognized qualification - it depends what the requirements are to count as qualified for your career, as well as how many points you get.

What job does whichever of you intends to be the main applicant do?
    My husband intends to join IT jobs there, he is also a Desktop support engineer here in Dubai. As for me, I am a grad. of computer science but I work in an office as an admin support.

Hello network_guy! That's what we're thinking. We're planning to submit the EOI still with 120 points, I am just afraid I'd be even more depressed of the negative outcome if ever. I am in a depression since our PAR was only assessed as level 5

Thanks for your advice!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast