Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is Your Home Making You Sick?

Quote Originally Posted by selchie
    I agree that emotional and physical health influence each other. In my own case, I've been healthier overall since the bronchitis episode. However, when I paint or varnish inside, I have to air out the house well, because the vapors will give me a sore throat and mild asthmatic reaction.
    selchie,

I very rarely use paints or varnishes that are not water based anymore. If I have to use oil based - I go for low odour ones (not sure if these are available in NZ). I also found even a paint stipper in the UK (Kwikstip) which was water based and had no fumes.

Rescene advertise that thier paints are "green" - so theres a chance that they would cause less problems - but I havent actually investigated this yet.

Again in the uK, i had investigated envionmentally friendly paints and varnishes which would cut down on fumes and odours. You cant get quite the range of colours, but i rmemebr them being very nice anyway. May be worth looking for something like that here. Ill be looking in the next few months, so ill let you know if i find anything.

I would say orientation of the house is very important.

We arrived last year during the winter time and we rented a newly build house which had morning sun only. In the day time, we were in thick jumpers.

Our present house is north facing and getting the whole day sun. In the day time, we are in shorts and t-shirts. Every night, we slept with the air-conditioning switch on because it is warm and a bit murky.

Of course, the winter last year is like a bad summer and this year, the winter is like a good spring.

Hi to all the NZ based members, in regards to the houses your all scarein me now! surely they arn't all bad?

Diny, how much have you paid to get your ' comfortable' house?

Are there any B&Q's out there for a 'handy' OH to renovate a basic NZ home?

maybe I could get the youngest to become an Architect? he he

Hi there. We paid $270k for our house. You need to bear in mind though that we are in the Manawatu and houses down here are alot less than those up north or in the larger 'trendier' cities.

We've been in this house for 4 weeks now and I have to say that it is proving to be a comfortable place to live, but even after all the cladding, insulation and lord knows what, I reckon come the winter we'll still be wrapping ourselves up in jumpers and blankets. Houses here just don't seem to have any guts. Bearing in mind that ours is a weatherboard house, built in 1910 ...... with amazingly huge rooms and VERY high ceilings. We have friends who live in a new build brick house - all mod cons and looking like something out of an Ideal Home magazine ........ and it's still a cold house to live in.

Houses in NZ just don't seem to be 'up to it' as far as keeping out the cold. No doubt I'll get somebody snapping at my ankles for making that comment, saying that folks over here can't afford adequate housing. This 'may' be the case but in my experience alot of Kiwis don't like a warmer house. My inlaws and Kiwi mates come into my house and complain about the heat .... and here's me thinking of ways to make it warmer.

It's just one of those things that you have to get use to .... so they tell me anyway. There's 2 things about NZ which I really dislike ..... the chocolate and the standard of housing - neither cut the mustard.

As for B&Q ..... well they have similar kinds of places (but on a much smaller scale) - places like Mitre 10 and Homemakers. From what I've seen so far DIY materials (especially paint and wallpaper) are VERY expensive over here.

I reckon it's just a case of finding a place you like, heating it as best you can and then go all out to adapt. Spring is here and the weather is getting warmer (slightly) ... I'm hoping I win the lottery between now and next winter then I can fly off to warmer climes for a few months.

Diny

Some very interesting food for thought here. I have puzzled for quite a while over the reason for my wifes increased asthma problems (She used her inhalers a couple of times a month in the UK, now its a daily routine). The fact that the two houses we've lived in since arrival have been freezing in winter seemed an obvious connection, but we wondered initially whether the logburner (which was more decorative than anything else) threw out fumes that irritated her. I would agree with the sentiments of many before me, that warm housing in the UK is one thing I do sorely miss. Walkers cheese and onion crisps is another.

This 'may' be the case but in my experience alot of Kiwis don't like a warmer house. My inlaws and Kiwi mates come into my house and complain about the heat .... and here's me thinking of ways to make it warmer.
    Hi Diny - well, I'm one Kiwi who hates being cold (always have) - and having got used to double glazing and central heating I'm not giving it up easily . I keep saying that we need to keep some money aside in our house buying budget to allow for upgrading these things if needed!! Will keep you posted.

Debs

I think that most of us would agree that the standard of heating and insulation isn't what we are used to from other parts of the world, and no Diny I wouldnt 'snap at anybodies ankles' for saying that. All I said last time was that you were lucky that you didn't have to put up with it. Its obviously quite an issue with you.

Its not that the houses are timber/tin thats the problem as any one who has lived in a timber house in North America, Canada or any of the alpine areas will agree, its just the lack of insulation in the walls etc. It does puzzle me to an extent that with the climate being warmer than the UK why the houses are so much colder, in Chch we have tended to put it down to the fact that its all built on a swamp, but if its that cold in other parts of the country it puts the khybosh on that theory. Timber wall cavities can be foam filled, insulation can be put under the floorboards, and the loft is the easiest one. High ceilings make a place difficult to heat and my own feeling is that a two storey house is warmer than a single storey.

The new builds in Christchurch area often have double glazing and the current building regs have reasonable insulation standards, they are more expensive than the older houses though, so to a large extent you pays your money and takes your choice.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123