Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Professional dress in NZ

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

I would definitely say that suits are not the norm. I just watched our Executive Leadership team (public sector) walk into their weekly meeting and there wasn't one tie or jacket present. Except for my boss, who isn't even on the Executive! I wear smart clothes but not suits.

Fridays are generally "mufti" - dress down. Although my last boss didn't believe in it so it was smart every day. Some industries are casual/smart casual all the time, but these are more likely to be "creative" industries.

Wear the Suit! You should look sharp for the interview even if you are applying to be a Hitman ;-)

Hello and welcome, Godfather - I think!

Quote Originally Posted by buraddo View Post
    Thanks to everyone for your feedback. My interview was by telephone and I think I was wearing pyjamas at the time. It's more the day to day stuff I was thinking about. I appreciate that comfort is important, and part of comfort is understanding convention. I'm not there to make a fashion statement. Cheers.
    Odd profession, as I'm sure you know you need to dress in a way that makes you appear professional, but not so formal that you seem unapproachable all things to all people ay... But you know that,,, what it's like here is the question you have. I think the rule has to be smart, if your overdressed you'll be forgiven as a funny POM trying to adjust, so if in doubt go for the overdressed. Smart skirt blouse /dress or trousers shirt is a good middle ground.. although if your a bloke the skirt blouse not such a good idea

for me now (been here a few years) formal is a nice suit and shirt no tie, everyday professional is a plain shirt, trousers, informal is shorts gumboots, any top, a days stubble and a hairdooo that was created by putting both your hands on your head and rubbing for a moment or two...

I think you should go for everyday professional, hope that's helpful

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by pdotie View Post
    just my $0.02 worth but... irrespective of dress code when working my recommendation would always be suit at interview.

regarding lucky's question about the official dress code in corporate culture, my experience is that it is very similar to the UK. Most of the time it is suit, no tie. I work as a consultant (management, not medical) and I wear a suit every day (even Friday) and tie when client facing unless they are a particularly informal organisation.

It does not really matter what someone's doctor wears, or what the IT guy wears.... one of my GP's in the UK used to wear a poloshirt, tatoo and all, likewise I worked in IT and some people in the City (London) wore suits and tie. It is fairly easy to work out quickly what the "norm" is for your particular workplace - when you are in for an interview, have a look around, pretty easy to see if people tend to wear suit/tie or jeans/polo but at the end of the day, wear what is comfortable.
    Thanks!

I noticed the colors as soon as I came to Wellington. It's a very black town. I had lunch out yesterday and 90% of the people there were wearing mostly black clothing. I noticed Auckland seemed more colorful when I visited.

My OH (manager, public sector) wears suits daily, except Friday when he wears jeans (tidy, new looking) and a merino top over the winter, or an button down without a tie. He loves his Friday shirts (from Three Wise Men) all crazy plaids and the like.

When I have meetings in town with public sector people, I wear tall boots, tights, (usually black) skirts or trousers, a nice blouse and (usually black) cardigan. But I'm in my 30s so probably more conservative than some. I also discovered that wearing black trousers is the same as going on a diet, so I think this is a good idea.

My doctor, here on the Kapiti Coast, wears trousers and button downs with no tie.

Good luck!

@ Tigerlily, right now everyone in Auckland is wearing black and gray! I finally pulled out one of my cute black dresses to wear for an interview so I could fit in more.
    It is very funny, especially since we left summer and everyone was wearing bright fun colors. Very dark here in regards to dress. Even my husband commented on it, and that's a guys pov.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
    My OH (manager, public sector) wears suits daily, except Friday when he wears jeans (tidy, new looking) and a merino top over the winter, or an button down without a tie.
    What OH stands for?

Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    What OH stands for?
    OH = Other Half
    DH = Dear/Darling Husband
    DW = Dear/Darling Wife
    etc.

We moved here in winter from sunny Singapore. Prior to moving here, I went to Uniqlo (similar to Gap) to buy a bunch of long sleeve cotton crew neck in various colours. By wearing those matching with various cardigans or accessories (scarf, necklace, etc.) I got a different outfit everyday haa!

Probably time to bring out those S'pore work clothes soon but the thought of having to iron them... blehhh.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast