Thread: £150 difference in medical charges

Default £150 difference in medical charges

Have just booked our medicals ( 2 of us) at Manchester, 11 St Johns RD...£500, was £800 at Dr Pye's in York...it pays to ask a few to compare...

Sounds good thank you as we will be booking medicals soon and did not realise that you can shop around does £500 cover x rays, blood tests, the whole package???

There are huge price differences between some of the different venues for medicals. Some people have found it financially worthwhile to travel and even stay overnight right out of their area to get their medicals done, so always ask for a quote before you agree to an appointment.

There's a handy thread here comparing medical costs

http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12126

Just got confirmation email re: medical and cost is £300 each, so £100 saving not £150...yes this price includes everything and passport photo's required can be done there too!

Another reasonable place is Leeds Student Medical Practice, ours were about £360 each incl blood tests, xrays etc.

http://www.leeds.ac.uk/lsmp/newzealand/index.htm

I paid £415 with Dr David John Howarth in Newcastle, whose manner was 'minimal'. I was made to feel like I had inconvenienced him by attending.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    There are huge price differences between some of the different venues for medicals. Some people have found it financially worthwhile to travel and even stay overnight right out of their area to get their medicals done, so always ask for a quote before you agree to an appointment.
    Agreed! I got mine done by Dr Down in Weymouth (not sure if he's still on the list - was a retired fella), who was much cheaper than the Bournemouth option. In his case it was because immigration medicals were his only job, and he never hit the VAT threshold. He even commented that a family from Sheffield had come down to get their medicals done by him, pairing the visit with a beachside holiday

Wow, these prices are crazy... It's weird that UK requires a panel doctor, while North American can use their family doctor. I used my family Dr, and only had to pay $40 for the x-ray, and $25 for filling in the form.

Daughter and I are just back from our medicals at the Medmigration Centre, part of the Bridgewater Private Hospital in Manchester. The Doc was Brendan Smith and he couldn't have been friendlier. Medicals, bloods and chest xrays all done (in adjacent rooms) for the two of us within about an hour and 20 mins* and we could have arranged to pick up the completed forms/report on Tuesday - as it is we should get it in the post on Friday. The radiologist, phlebotomist and reception staff were all thoroughly pleasant too. We drove but its only about a 20 min walk from Picaddilly Station or around a £6 cab ride. £300 for the adult medical inclusive of the bloods and chest x rays too. I would definitely recommend them. They can generally accomodate appointments within a week of enquiry.

*Both of us are fit and healthy with no previous medical issues so there wasn't much to discuss. Perhaps it wouldn't be that quick if your history was more complicated.
    Last edited by RedVee; 5th January 2013 at 06:50 AM.