Thread: Skilled work requirements confusion and a declined EoI!

Question Skilled work requirements confusion and a declined EoI!

Kia ora all!

I’m in a bit of a confused state due to the skilled job offer requirements. We just had a declined EoI; here’s the situation:

My partner has a skilled job, which was just offered to him permanently – unfortunately he has less than 5 years work experience. The best chance for that is to work out is to wait until January until the 5 years of experience requirement is met – cutting it a bit fine as our WHVs expire in February! This was what the officer stated in the letter as the reason behind cutting the points.

As for myself, I’m technically temping, but have been in this skilled position for 5 months, and it seemingly meets the requirements: it IS ongoing (in writing -- with no end date), full-time, I’ve signed work agreements with the staffing agency, and can demonstrate that this job meets the ANZSCO descriptions. The pre-application person on the phone at INZ said I should ‘put it down’ on my EoI. HOWEVER, I don’t have the 5 years experience – just a level 7 bachelor’s degree. Post-application person on the phone said (along with the decline letter) that the officer didn’t indicate that these 20 points would be removed. There is a permanent position opening up here thatI'm applying for, but I don’t want to get my hopes up!

Questions:
    --Would my status quo work position actually work and fulfil the requirements? There’s no mention expressly stating that my current job situation wouldn’t work -- and the officers didn't indicate otherwise!

--Even if I were offered that actual 'permanent' and non-contracted position, would my bachelors/qualification fulfil the requirement of 'relevance' to the job? If I’m a contracts officer (skill level 2) and I got a BA in Int’l Relations (emphasis in Development Policy), could this at all fly, especially given that this position is quite common in development work?

--If I provided correspondence stating that the previous officer thought my work met the requirements, would this help my case? Do they 'stop looking' for other things once your application has dipped below 100 points?

We both want to stay here past February! Any suggestions?
    Thanks for offering any sort of guidance, your help is greatly appreciated!

Hello and welcome.

In all this, it sounds as though your partner was the principle applicant on the EOI that has just failed - is that correct?

And are you considering putting in an EOI with yourself as principle applicant?

I know people who are a couple tend to think of 'our' application, but in effect, it's one OR the other of you, and which way is best depends on who can best meet the requirements to get maximum points, because you'll both finish up with Residence.