Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Youth Culture in NZ

Default Youth Culture in NZ

Hello everyone. I've been enjoying reading up on NZ. We're headed there next year, not sure exactly where yet, and we're wondering about youth culture there. Keen to avoid the rap/hip-hop/bling/gang crap that's been pervading too much of the UK of late. I know NZ has some problems with gangs too. Any recommendations on places to live in bigger towns or cities where teens have a good chance of not coming into contact with this stuff?

Hello and welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by James A View Post
    ...Any recommendations on places to live in bigger towns or cities where teens have a good chance of not coming into contact with this stuff?..
    If by "this stuff" you mean:

"...rap/hip-hop/bling/gang crap..."
    then no, not in the bigger towns or cities. I find that teens generally participate in sports and outdoor activities to a greater degree than was common in big-city USA, which is a good thing IMO, but you'd struggle to find a group of teenagers in Auckland or Christchurch hanging out and listening to country music or singing hymns.

rap/hip-hop/bling
    I find lots of kiwis trying to ape the hip-hop culture (style), this came as cultural shock to me as the last time I saw hoodies and bling-blings was 2007 and also in some pockets of London.

Hello everyone. I've been enjoying reading up on NZ. We're headed there next year, not sure exactly where yet, and we're wondering about youth culture there. Keen to avoid the rap/hip-hop/bling/gang crap that's been pervading too much of the UK of late. I know NZ has some problems with gangs too. Any recommendations on places to live in bigger towns or cities where teens have a good chance of not coming into contact with this stuff?
    Well, if you move to this area and your kids become friends with my kids, they'll probably hear hip-hop and rap at my house. However, I promise they won't be subjected to any of that hip-gyrating, long-haired, rocking and rolling noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Sun777 View Post
    I find lots of kiwis trying to ape the hip-hop culture (style), this came as cultural shock to me as the last time I saw hoodies and bling-blings was 2007 and also in some pockets of London.
    That's funny, last time I was in London I saw lots of Brits trying to ape the hip-hop culture.
    Last edited by kiwieagle; 5th October 2012 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwieagle View Post
    That's funny, last time I was in London I saw lots of Brits trying to ape the hip-hop culture.
    To be honest I could not actually differentiate these people if they were just locals or migrants from other European countries, somehow I like the style but sometimes people project a totally different personality (often ridiculous..bruda, sista, yo! ...lingo I mean )

Quote Originally Posted by Sun777 View Post
    To be honest I could not actually differentiate these people if they were just locals or migrants from other European countries, somehow I like the style but sometimes people project a totally different personality (often ridiculous..bruda, sista, yo! ...lingo I mean )

Don't we all have different personalities for different social situations? I certainly don't talk to my grandmother the same way I talk to my brother. It's just the complexity of being human.

I've been thinking (in a non jokey way) about the original question of "youth culture". I'm going to just ignore the problematic issue of equating rap/hip-hop with bling/gangs. I personally find, and it's one of the big reasons I moved to NZ, the gap between generations to be less rigid than in other places I've lived. I'm not saying that there aren't old people that don't say "in my day we..." or young people that don't roll their eyes at the utter ignorance of older people to modern culture but it seems to be a lot less angry and serious. Older people seem to enjoy being bewildered by youth and love to watch them make their own way and come up with their own culture even if it's strange and odd to them. I think it's most likely due to the small population and people haven't really had the luxury here to dismiss one another based on age. I find people are less intergenerationally surly with one another than other places. Teenagers seem quite capable of having conversations with adults and small children alike. Small children are not seen as a nuisance in public places. Obviously, this is just my experience and not absolute. If you've ever been to the library in Blenheim, you'll know it's not absolute. However, in general, people seem to enjoy the benefits of an intergenerational society. My children have thrived in this culture.

I find that children in NZ seem to have an extra aprox. 3 years of just being kids and doing kid things, like fishing or jumping off the wharf or canooing etc.
    http://www.google.co.nz/imgres?q=nz+...9,r:1,s:0,i:70

looks fun, thats exactly the reason why I brought my kids to NZL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast