Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Auckland suburbs for family -please help!

Default Auckland suburbs for family -please help!

hello all,

we arrived in Auckland last week and have just moved to a furnished rental place in Narrow Neck until our furniture arrives in a couple of months. Now the hunt is on for a longer term rental.

I came over expecting that Browns Bay would be the place for us but although I think it's beautiful and plenty of great shops I'm a little worried that I will feel a bit cut off up there as my husband would need the car to commute to Parnell each day.

The areas around here are lovely but so expensive and I also really liked Mission Bay/St Heliers/Orakei areas but again expensive and there don't seem to be many rentals available in any of these areas -I've been checking Trademe daily. Our budget is $750 a week and we need a 3 bed place preferably with a garden and good schools are a must. I'm trying not to rent somewhere where we can't afford to buy eventually (budget will be around $600K). Can anyone help with their experiences of these areas?

I've just switched from working fulltime to being a fulltime mum of two boys so I'm keen to make sure I don't feel isolated while hubby is at work all day.

thank you!

You may find Meadowbank to your taste, or St. Johns or Glendowie, all have good school zones, and nice houses and are reasonably close to Parnell. You must check the school zones for any house you are interested in of course.
    Here is a reasonable rental in Meadowbank it is only the front part of the pic but has 3 beds and a double tandem garage.
    http://www.zoodle.co.nz/16/790020000

Hi There,

I doubt you will be able to get a decent (warm) 3 bed house to buy in mission bay/orakei/st heliers/glendowie or meadowbank for 600,000. We looked in that area for a year and dumps that need a complete renovation have gone for more! Crazy over inflated prices (IMO). In the end we have moved further out to Sunnyhills. Check out Farm Cove, Half moon bay, Bucklands beach, Cockle bay and Howick too. The commute to Parnell at around 7.30am would prob be 40 mins driving from these areas. oops forgot to mention the schools in these areas are excellent. Can also commute to city on boat from Half moon bay.

hope this helps
    Last edited by Mackenzie girl; 1st October 2012 at 04:06 PM.

Have you spent anytime in Brown's Bay? It is actually quite quick to get to the city from there and a quite lovely area. There is also Milford, Takapuna etc. We made three trips to the CBD today alone and it was no big deal. Good luck, hopefully you can figure out something that will work out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwihusker View Post
    Have you spent anytime in Brown's Bay? It is actually quite quick to get to the city from there and a quite lovely area. There is also Milford, Takapuna etc. We made three trips to the CBD today alone and it was no big deal. Good luck, hopefully you can figure out something that will work out for you.
    Hi I think I'll keep looking at those areas -there doesn't seem to be a lot out there at the moment although I've seen some lovely properties in Castor Bay, Milford, Rothesay Bay. Belmont keeps being recommended to me.

If we lived up there my hubby would probably use the car (which we haven't bought yet!) and I would be depending on buses etc. I don't see myself going to the city all the time especially once the kids are settled at school/kindy I just want to feel like I could I suppose -we have friends with kids in Waterview and they're about the only people I know here so far.

I'm sure it will all feel less remote once I have settled somewhere and started to meet people.

Do you live in Browns Bay kiwi husker?

Bits of Birkenhead/Northcote or Chatswood could suit - Onewa Road is a bottleneck to drive to the city after 7am but loads of buses into mid city - Victoria St by Sky Tower. We've lived here for a year and like it, currently in an acceptable modern 4 bed at 580 a week and moving soon to a much nicer 3 bed with central heating, ventilation and double glazing at 670. Quite a few walks and a child friendly beach at Little Shoal Bay.

I can't think of many places that I would want to be without a car here. I would feel trapped very quickly, and I'm only in the Eastern Suburbs... Having said that, I also make it a point to not be entirely dependent on it, and we can take the bus into town, and cycle to the waterfront (which we do frequently on the weekends). I commute by bike. Still, Auckland without a car would feel quite isolating to me in most places.

I would think it makes more sense for you husband to try to find alternative transport, and leave you the car.

Daniela

I agree with Daniella, get your husband to find a way to take the bus to work and leave you the car. You don't want to be stranded without a car. You'll want to run kids to school or pick up groceries, or go to the doctor etc. We live in Forrest Hill. We can take the bus to the CBD quite easily from here. We can also jump on the motorway and be in the city within 15 minutes without traffic. Good schools etc.
    Best of luck to you. How old are you kids? Mine boys are just turning 8 and 6. Wowza time flies by. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by kiwihusker View Post
    I agree with Daniella, get your husband to find a way to take the bus to work and leave you the car. You don't want to be stranded without a car. You'll want to run kids to school or pick up groceries, or go to the doctor etc. We live in Forrest Hill. We can take the bus to the CBD quite easily from here. We can also jump on the motorway and be in the city within 15 minutes without traffic. Good schools etc.
    Best of luck to you. How old are you kids? Mine boys are just turning 8 and 6. Wowza time flies by. Good luck!
    Hi thanks -after driving around for a couple of days am starting to realise you're right about the car! My boys are nearly 3 and 5 and going through a bit of a tricky fighting phase! I haven't been fulltime mummy for a while as I worked full time in the UK so I'm keen not to be too much on my own or I think I'll go crazy!

So far really like the look of Milford/Castor Bay areas and planning to check out Beach Haven and Birkenhead.

I definitely want to be close to a beach but I also need somewhere with a bit of life to it I'm starting to realize a beach in itself isn't enough.

Thanks for all the tips everyone -the search continues!

Quote Originally Posted by VickiK View Post
    I definitely want to be close to a beach but I also need somewhere with a bit of life to it I'm starting to realize a beach in itself isn't enough.
    When we first got here, I occasionally went to Mission Bay to stand in a queue for ice cream, just to feel as if there is some form of life out there...

Actually, I still do that

Daniela

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast