Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Working hours

Default Working hours

Anyone else got a run of the mill monday to friday full time job in NZ?

My contract has just been sent to me and the working hours are 8 till 5 monday to friday. Doesn't mentio what the lunch break is, but even if it is an hour, then this is still 5 hours more than I currently work (as the minimum required).

Seems a bit contrary to a salary that is lower than my current one, pound for dollar.

Is this the norm?

Paul

I'm not sure what the answer is, but my full time is for 37.5 hours per week, between 8:30 and 5. Since I make my own schedule, it is a lot more flexible than most. Lunch is usually about half an hour and I know people have a morning and afternoon tea break.

It would be worth asking your employer. I think most (I could be wrong) jobs over here are 37.5 hours for full time.

Our standard hours are 40 per week - apparently went up from 37.5 years ago!

We work 8:30 to 17:00 with half hour for lunch, but people are very particular to take their morning and afternoon tea breaks - no quick cup of coffee at the desk - so more like 7.5 hour day in reality...

Red face

Well you are very lucky my husband work 7.30 to 5pm half and hour of lunch.
    Tea breaks do not exist once in a wile 10mins on the run.

His wages here are the same as they were 25 years ago but we love it here.

Susan

Cheers everyone, I have another interview in 40 minutes time, for Shell Oil.

Will let you know how it goes.

Cheers
    Paul

Hours seem pretty much the same as UK, with the exception of "smoko" breaks - Woz works 9 - 5 and gets 2 x 20 min smoko breaks and an hour for lunch.

Good luck Ooops, I mean

The working day is going to be a matter of pot luck, depending on employer. I used to work for a huge international company, and one day, on a whim of some faceless exec somewhere, they decided to "extend" our working day by 1/2 hour in morning to 8am and extend the end of the day. Although our lunch break should have been 1 hour, it was sometimes a lot less due to work load, and sometimes a lot more! So it is a case of swings and roundabouts I suppose.

Cheers,
    Shell job, could be good, but they didn't play it up massively, actually wanted me to do some work instead of telling others what to do! Don't know about that!

They probably won't get round to making a decision before I accept the PN job. So palmy here we come.

Lookout Manawatu!

Paul

My work hours were originally advertised as 8.00 - 5.00, but I explained with school age children I couldnt work those hours so they were happy to let me do 9-5. They are also very flexible if I need an hour here or there for things.

Hubby works 7-4ish, quite long hours, but still much better than the UK when he was travelling to London for 3-4hours each day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast