Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Doomsday Preppers

Default Doomsday Preppers

Anyone watching this on National Geographic?

Are you prepared for an earthquake or volcanic eruption?

Do you have enough food and water stored?

Longer term, it takes 10 calories of fossil fuels to make each calorie of food we eat. We keep hearing politicians talk about sustainability, but food is going to become a battle zone this century.

I think the UK grows about 10 percent of the food it needs. People are talking about the UK's population growing another 10 million within a generation. MADNESS!

New Zealand looks A LOT better. That's one reason we'll be on our way there in 2013.

We have three days worth of food, water, petrol and cash, as part of our earthquake/disaster kit.

Longer term, we I can not disagree with your view. We have a plan that involves buying a 10+ hectare section, developing it when we can, planting trees and stuff that takes a while to mature, market garden. Build our (eco) house and mount a machine gun in the roof to deal with any pesky marauders or "the infected".

Aghh - there are people in the U.S. in the survivalist mode - armed to the teeth with years of food stashed away, for when the government collapses or the U.S. is invaded by aliens or the U.N. (I just got rid of at least 50 cans of freeze-dried food, bought by my ex and stashed under the house 30 years ago.) I just worry about today - though I do believe in having a three-day kit for natural disasters.

Quote Originally Posted by James A View Post

Are you prepared for an earthquake or volcanic eruption? ...
    New Zealand looks A LOT better. That's one reason we'll be on our way there in 2013.
    I hope you are aware that the land beneath NZ is made up of volcanic leftover and for that same reason the land is mostly uneven.

Quote Originally Posted by Beachcombers View Post
    Build our (eco) house and mount a machine gun in the roof to deal with any pesky marauders or "the infected".
    I have never seen an eco warrior armed with said machine gun, so perhaps you'd be better off wafting them away with some incense sticks. Some of them do smell preeeety bad...

Quote Originally Posted by Kensington View Post
    I have never seen an eco warrior armed with said machine gun, so perhaps you'd be better off wafting them away with some incense sticks. Some of them do smell preeeety bad...
    Ecologists come in all shapes, sizes, political affiliations and smells.

Of course, your stockpile of food and water, and vegetable garden, won't do you much good if you need to evacuate in a hurry due to a volcanic eruption......

Quote Originally Posted by James A View Post

Are you prepared for an earthquake or volcanic eruption?

Do you have enough food and water stored?

Longer term, it takes 10 calories of fossil fuels to make each calorie of food we eat. We keep hearing politicians talk about sustainability, but food is going to become a battle zone this century.

I think the UK grows about 10 percent of the food it needs. People are talking about the UK's population growing another 10 million within a generation. MADNESS!

This all presumes technological advances won't be made. I'm sure back in the 50's if they looked at the populatiion of the UK today they'd have thought the same thing. You'd expect GM technology to start being used widespread in the future for example, rather than being unfairly maligned, in which case efficiency and yields would improve considerably.

I don't want to move to an island of doomsday freaks and misfits of Unibomber Apocalypse religo freaks, willing to have a corporation save them . I just joined this site for people to meet and come from the USA with enough weirdos and guns. I thought NZ was eco intelligent and aware in caring for it's environments and people. Find a rocky sandy atoll in the Pacific and stay away from the rest of the world or buy one of US empty missile silos perfect for the post-civilization moleman/Madmax life you so want to live.
    Last edited by ctrl; 12th October 2012 at 10:58 PM.

I have no idea how is that possible. We live in XXI century, people are (better or worse) educated and they believe doomsday, the end of the world, just because some ancient culture calender is ending?? Be serious people. It's everything made for money. People make money because other people read the book, store food, water, petrol... If there will be end of the world (but it won't!), it's rather obvious, no one can survive. But there will be Year 2013, 2020, 2500...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast