Thread: Job Offers and SMC visa

Default Job Offers and SMC visa

Hi All,
    still waiting to get a CO allocation for my SMC residence visa w/o job offer. However I have a new, but favourable, dilemma. I have three Skype job interviews (one will almost certainly end in an offer the interview is mainly to discuss remuneration) and one job offer which I'm waiting on written confirmation.
    My dilemma is this, until I reach NZ, I'm not sure which of these particular job offers I would be most keen on. It looks highly likely that I'll need to chose between at the least two offers. With regards to my visa, would it matter if I submitted one of the offers to speed up my visa but then changed my mind when I reached NZ??

I'm very thankful to be in the position I'm in with these offers, but I don't want to make any rash decisions or upset any potential employers.

Thanks

Tom

With regards to my visa, would it matter if I submitted one of the offers to speed up my visa but then changed my mind when I reached NZ??
    Yes. It would make a difference. If a job offer is part of the package you submit for SMC Residence, your visa will be granted with a Section 49(1) condition, which is normally that you take up the specific job mentioned in your application within three months of arrival in NZ, and work at that job for three months. While still in the post, you can then go to INZ with evidence that you have done what was required, and your visa will only then be changed for Residence without the conditions. (With that Residence visa clear of conditions, you could then move on freely within NZ.)

Thanks - I suspected as much but the INZ website wasn't all that clear and my immigration friend wasn't sure either.