Thread: Waiting for police cert.. should I still apply in the meantime?

Default Waiting for police cert.. should I still apply in the meantime?

After just getting everything in order to apply for my partner residence visa, there's a hitch... it might take us a few months to get the police certificate that my resident bf will need for the application! The last time I applied for another visa and was missing a police cert, I was told that the application would not be processed until I got one, which is fine.. but I read in these forums that in someone else's case, INZ completely rejected the application and sent it back if it was missing a cert, instead? That's not so fine, and if that is the case I may have to wait to apply til we get the police cert... but in the meantime everything is ticking down. All my witness letters are from a month or so ago when I asked everyone to write it.. would I need to get new ones? But we've just recently moved to a new city and don't really know anyone here to write them for us.

Could I just apply with a missing police cert and inform INZ that we intend to get it ASAP but it will take a few months?

I don't know for certain, so I hope someone comes along to clarify, but I think INZ will simply send it back, even with an explanation. They won't work on it until it is complete. We are in the same boat, waiting for police checks in order to apply for residency.
    Good luck with everything

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

INZ will not process your application if it's incomplete, I.e. missing a police cert. I had the same issue when we applied. The FBI checks were due to take a lot longer than everything else so I asked my CO if I could send everything else then add the police cert when it arrived. She said my application would be put to the back of the queue if it arrived incomplete, which would naturally delay processing. She didn't say it would be rejected, but they certainly wouldn't start processing it.

My advice, don't risk it.

Thanks for the advice, guys. Guess I'll wait, then.

Manks, how did you get a CO before submitting everything, though?

If you overlook something they might give you a letter asking for the missing bits. Otherwise it comes back to you. Annoying and expensive.

I'm in the same position. My out-of-country police check (I have multiple citizenships) is taking a long time. I applied for it before my EOI so I am a bit ahead of the game, but it is frustrating to be so close, but still unable to proceed. Good luck and keep breathing.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Quote Originally Posted by elswyth View Post
    Manks, how did you get a CO before submitting everything, though?
    I had a job offer, so you get allocated a CO at EOI verification because you're fast tracked through the process.