Thread: odd jobs in NZ

Default odd jobs in NZ

Hi,

I know there are lots of difficulties in NZ for secured job for new migrants even if you have required skills and education.

May be first 6/7 months (even more) a skilled migrant will be in search of new jobs in his desired fields.

But I would like to know is there any odd jobs available in NZ (like dish washing, working in Pizza restaurant or other types...)

so that a skilled migrant can still survive for the couple of months (or even more) if he didn't bring enough cash with him when migrant to NZ.

Dear forum member who specially is in NZ reply pls.

Quote Originally Posted by farzanakhan123 View Post
    Hi,

I know there are lots of difficulties in NZ for secured job for new migrants even if you have required skills and education.

May be first 6/7 months (even more) a skilled migrant will be in search of new jobs in his desired fields.

But I would like to know is there any odd jobs available in NZ (like dish washing, working in Pizza restaurant or other types...)

so that a skilled migrant can still survive for the couple of months (or even more) if he didn't bring enough cash with him when migrant to NZ.

You can get an idea of what is available as odd jobs on websites such as Student Job Search:http://www.sjs.co.nz/
    or gumtree:
    http://northisland.gumtree.co.nz/
    or trademe:
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/

A lot of jobs like that are probably also advertised locally.

Plenty of work like that in Auckland, as previously said advertised on Trade Me, by places like McDonalds on their web sites or help wanted signs at the place itself.

Simon

It all depends on your type of visa, though..., without residence, if not on a WHV, you can't do any sort of job, skilled or not, and you will not get a work visa for odd jobs (except maybe for a seasonal one for fruit picking or similar).
    If you are on a job search visa you probably don't have time to do odd jobs, because you have to find a skilled job within a certain timeframe.
    Only on a 'plain' residence visa without any conditions you would be able to take on odd jobs to at least earn some money.
    At least that is how I understand the situation....

Its pure residence visa (SMC)...that's i want to know.. what type of odd jobs..as you mentioned some like fruit picking..

Quote Originally Posted by newarrival View Post
    It all depends on your type of visa, though..., without residence, if not on a WHV, you can't do any sort of job, skilled or not, and you will not get a work visa for odd jobs (except maybe for a seasonal one for fruit picking or similar).
    If you are on a job search visa you probably don't have time to do odd jobs, because you have to find a skilled job within a certain timeframe.
    Only on a 'plain' residence visa without any conditions you would be able to take on odd jobs to at least earn some money.
    At least that is how I understand the situation....

Have a look at the websites which have been suggested and you will get an idea.

...Its pure residence visa (SMC)...
    If that's the case, then didn't your application contain the following statement, which you signed: "...I have sufficient personal resources to maintain myself and my dependants for at least my first 24 months as a resident in New Zealand..."?

So, although you have the right to take any job you're offered, the issue posed in your original query shouldn't arise, should it? Not in the first 6-7 months, anyway.

Hi,

Hi there,
    I remember this was one of the interview question asked by our CO. I don't know how practical it would be to sustain on odd jobs but our answer was that I would get cross trained into other areas of my profession & try to apply for jobs (not exactly odd ones though). In small countries no job is an odd job, I have seen people starting their own (small and medium) businesses which seems to be more profitable than scheduled jobs. Not sure it this help but I hope someone will give much more insights on similar situation.