Thread: Job for material engineer or hydrogeologist

Default Job for material engineer or hydrogeologist

Hi,
    I am material engineer, my girlfriend is hydrogeologist. When i will begin looking for a job in NZ, i will have at least 2 years of experience. I had some achievements as a student. Is there any chance for me to find a job in NZ? In my profession of course.
    The same question about my girlfriend, but i have no idea if She can get eny expierience in Poland.

So, the main question is: are material engineer and hydrogeologist needed in NZ, and is there a chance to find a job in these professions for foreigners?
    Best regards,
    Michał

Hi Michal,

A bit more background might help you get useful replies. Assuming you have a Washington Accord degree, then in what field and in what environment do you or will you have experience? For example -- R&D, testing, manufacturing? NZ doesn't have a lot of heavy industry, but if you've a background in field testing and investigation for building services, then there would be greater opportunities. Similarly, for your girlfriend, if she is willing to take an entry-level position doing site-specific geotechnical investigations, then there are many opportunities in Canterbury. In both of your cases, if your interests are rather in academia or R&D, then the range of opportunities here would be rather limited.

Oh, and don't worry about the "for foreigners" bit, as long as your English is adequate.

I have Master's degree (Master of Engineering - we have Bologna process in Poland), my specialization is "Steel and Special Alloys Engineering". Now I'm working in Materials Laboratory in Technical Center of BWI Group. I would like to find a job in my profession, if it would be testing, r&d, would be great. Manufacturing is less interesting for me.
    I still learn English (can't speak as good as i wish to). Every report I need to write, every request, everything is in English. It gave me a lot - I learned a lot of technical words. Maybe not yet, but in a year or two, I will be ready to work and live in English
    Do You think, I could find a job in Auckland, or somewhere else in North Island? I would rather good weather place

My roots are in eastern Europe -- trust me when I say that anywhere in New Zealand is a "good weather place" by comparison. It's difficult (impossible?) to predict where the jobs market will be in a year or two, but Auckland is growing, so there's as good, or better, a chance there as elsewhere.

Have a look on Seek and on Fletchers' career site (they own Pacific Steel, which is the only manufacturer of reinforcing steel here -- lots of demand for products at the moment as a result of rebuilding work in Christchurch and seismic retrofit strengthening everywhere else).

Quote Originally Posted by sks View Post
    My roots are in eastern Europe -- trust me when I say that anywhere in New Zealand is a "good weather place" by comparison.
    What do You mean? I know, summers are not as warm as in Central Europe, but winters are not as cold as in Poland, and this is very important, because I hate cold...

I mean that anywhere in NZ will be warmer in winter if Poland is your frame of reference. It only snowed once this winter in Christchurch that I can recall. So, if you're offered a position outside Auckland, there are many factors that you'll have to consider, but weather shouldn't be near the top of your list.

Ok, thany You Let's hope, we (my and my girlfriend) will be able to find a job...

BTW it has to be weird at the first time, when winter comes in June, and summer in December, Christmas is in summer, my Birthday (November) in Spring, New Year in summer :P