Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wine drinkers or beer drinkers - change of habit?

Default Wine drinkers or beer drinkers - change of habit?

There's an old saying that the wine drinking countries were no match for the beer drinking countries when it came to a good scrap.

I'd say the UK's gone from being a nation of beer drinkers to a lot more wine drinking. Is it the same in NZ? I'm guessing it is since it actually produces some damn good wines.

So have your drinking habits changed since you got to NZ??????

No not really changed that much , still a glass of red a night and occasional beer.
    Just from my golf club perspective would say NZ is still very much a beer drinking nation but that is using 100 folks out of 4 million so maybe not that representative

There's a much greater range of boutique beers in NZ - at least in Chch - and lots of pubs selling them: Pomeroys being my favourite but others like Volstead and Darkrooms not to mention the Brewery all serving excellent beers.

I pretty much drink beer in the pub and wine and home.

In terms of habits, not much has changed, it's just what I'm drinking that has. Coming from N Ireland, Guinness and Smithwicks (Stout/Ale) was my staple but the Guinness here is awful and I don't touch it - Smithwicks is just a NI beer.

Central Otago Pinot Noir is my favourite wine here in NZ. In NI it was a Rioja.

I've always been a cider drinker and have been sorely disappointed since arriving in NZ

Why not brew your own cider? My brother makes a good apple, cider and mixed cider.

Do you have Old Mout Cider? They sell that in Rotorua. It's pretty good.

Might do that actually

Haven't seen Old Mout in the bars here.....will look in the supermarkets....cheers

I stopped drinking NZ and Oz wines about a year before I moved here because I knew that my usual goto inexpensive Rioja, Rhone and California wines would be a lot more rare and expensive here. So, now I drink almost exclusively NZ wines with a few OZ mixed in. I used to drink a lot of Belgian beer but even if it's available, it's just too pricey and I stick to riggers from craft breweries in my area.

Btw, Old Mout is quite sweet but tasty and well priced.

In the UK, it beer down the pub and wine at home. I have been really disappointed with most beers here, I would kill for a decent pint of Stella.

Living in Marlborough, well I am spoilt for choice for decent wine, I even make some myself now. We also have some great craft breweries here as well.

I really miss a decent Rioja though!

I believe the phrase "a decent pint of Stella" is an oxymoron... There's never yet been a decent drop of Stella produced or poured, it's a mass produced chemical disaster parading as premium beer. My cousin, who works for InBev, once said it's borderline if Stella can even legally be classified as beer.

Personally, I drink beer out, wine at home... Being parent to a toddler, I rarely drink out these days, so, it's more wine than beer. In Canada, beer wise, I prefer Steam Whistle, Creemore, Mill Street (Organic) and Cameron's Dark. In NZ I like my father-in-law's home brew ;-D, Macs Gold, Black Mac and some Monteith's products... Regardless of where I am (and I've lived in 5 countries and visited over 60), I always drink local.

I can't stand Stella either. I don't even need your relative to tell me it's not good.

Forget the mass produced Macs and Monteiths and try some microbrews.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast