Thread: One month in...

Default One month in...

A few observations...

Firstly, no regrets. Wellington is windy but in the sun it is gloriously beautiful and a cool place. I'm writing this watching the sun go down in our new house overlooking the harbour. Wow. The town is cool but you have to be able to handle your coffee. My decaf feels like a double expresso.

Ferry to Welly from Eastbourne is about the best commute in the world. Eastbourne just about has everything a family needs including a pub for the parents. Nice school, doctors, dentist, restaurants, insanely overpriced supermarket, outdoor pool, yacht club etc. Cool vibe.

Petone is also kinda fun with lots for the kids to do.

Pak N' slave is pretty good. Reasonable variety and relatively cheap. Warehouse is your friend too. Everyone waits for prices to come down before buying.

People have almost entirely been extremely kind and helpful. Much needed with OH selling up in NY and me with the kids. I couldn't have done it without them.

Fun wearing jeans to work.

Cash free internet banking is the best I've seen anywhere.

Very much an old boys club culture here. What do all those suits do in those coffee shops at 11 in the morning?

Insane number of middle aged people are divorced. I put it down to house prices not having come down (-27% in the US).

Everyone knows everybody's business. It's a VERY small world.

Kiwi not only work hard, they are always doing things.

The culture here reminds me forcefully of Scottish culture with a few add-ons. I do think there are so many people with Scottish relatives that you are given a bit of a by(e) (sp?) if you are Scottish.

still on adrenaline rush...still bit confused as to how things work but very grateful to this forum for making it easier on us.

Cheers, D

Hi Dede

I agree with the Comment about the Scottish culture...I have not really noticed a huge cultural difference, just the odd thing, which hits you all the more as it is different...oh and it does not rain as much!

Sheena

Thanks for that, dede - interesting.

Glad to hear it is going well. We are coming to Wellington in a couple of weeks for your recce so have our fingers crossed that it ticks all the boxes

Thanks for the post Dede. Hope things continue to go well for you. Cheers.

Excellent, so glad you're enjoying it!

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Glad to hear you're settling in well. You can't beat Welly on a day like today