14 42.42%
  • Well done

5 15.15%
  • I don't eat steak

1 3.03%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rare or well done steaks?

Default Rare or well done steaks?

I like my steaks well done. Can you imagine the fun I've had travelling in France? I've lost count of the times I've sent steak back to chef to be cooked.

I even dined out with a French family in France who liked their steaks well done. They're a rare breed and don't have an easy time of it with chefs who know what they want better than they do.

Do you prefer your steaks rare or well cooked? Whatever your preferences, do you have trouble getting your meat cooked the way you like it in New Zealand?
    Last edited by James A; 11th October 2012 at 02:25 AM.

Erm, I'm inbetween medium and well. Some pink in the middle but not red or bloody. I usually just describe how I want it to end up instead of saying "medium-well".

I hear you about France. Ugh! I lived there for some years and I used to point to the sole of my shoe, say "semelle" and "cramme" (accent on the 'e') but it would still come back bloody in the middle. *Sigh* ...

A few of us in work have just ordered a cow and it's currently hanging and maturing ready to be cut up into various delcious steaks - can't wait!
    They're just outside of Rangiora near Christchurch: http://www.canterburyhomekill.co.nz/order-beef

Will let you know what it's like when I get it later this month

Where's "medium-rare"?

Quote Originally Posted by Twunky View Post
    A few of us in work have just ordered a cow and it's currently hanging and maturing ready to be cut up into various delcious steaks - can't wait!
    They're just outside of Rangiora near Christchurch: http://www.canterburyhomekill.co.nz/order-beef

Will let you know what it's like when I get it later this month
    They did Daisy for us and she is yummcious, hung for 10 days, two more lined up very soon .
    Rare for me, well done for Clare

Voted rare as you didn't put up blue

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by doreysc View Post
    Voted rare as you didn't put up blue

Simon
    Boak!! :P

Blue for us (but voted rare). We've had difficulty in the past getting steaks as rare/blue as we like them in the UK (never in France!) but eaten some of the best steaks here in NZ.

I don't cook well-done steaks. Seriously. I won't do it. I'll go medium and even that bothers me...

Sorry for the omissions in the poll everyone, but thanks for your answers. Must admit, the thought of blue steak doesn't do good things for me. Reminds me of the Mr Bean sketch where he's orders steak tartare in a restaurant, not realizing it means raw minced steak.

I was also wondering if any of you'd had any trouble getting steaks cooked they way you like 'em in New Zealand????????

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast