Thread: recce visit

Default recce visit

Hi all

We are coming over to Wellington in a couple of weeks for a recce visit and I wondered if anyone had any advice re: what we should ensure we do? Hubby is lining up meetings with recruitment agents and business contacts, I am planning a couple of school visits and driving around potential neighbourhoods. We should have time for some sight seeing and generally just soaking up the atmosphere

Thanks

You should read cabbages of dooms thread here he did a really good write up and the wellington folk put on lots of good places to visit.

It's a couple of years old and I would add more now but here are a few ideas about what to do in Wellington.
    http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30981
    Have fun!

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Check out Wotzon or the Wellington Tourism website to find out if there's anything happening while you're here.

Make sure you visit the different supermarkets, and various other shops (furniture/electrical) to get a feel for prices and help you decide what/not to bring with you when you move. Similarly wander around the used car yards on Railway Ave in Lower Hutt to get an idea of how much a car will cost (those set-up costs add up).

Go to a few open homes on a Sunday in any areas you think you like the look of. This will give you some guide on the type of house you'll get for your money in the area you want. And it means you won't be as shocked when you actually come to look at houses here and realise what poor quality they are!

Fun stuff!

If you have time, get yourselves up to Martinborough for a bit of wine tasting. Can be done in a day or throw in an overnight stay.

Take a trip to Eastborne. Have lunch at Maranui Cafe in Lyall Bay (just not at the weekend as it's stupidly busy!). Soak up Oriental Parade on a nice day. Beach Babylon is another fave cafe (spotting a theme here?!) And the Sunday market by Te Papa (and Te Papa is a must-do).

Thank you everyone for these tips - loved cabbages of doom's write up, can't wait to get on the plane now

Manks - we are thinking Plimmerton/Paremata (funds allowing) as have young kids and have some friends there that we will be staying with for the weekend so planning to look at houses. Getting a bit concerned about the set up costs but has to be done

am hoping we have time to go to Martinborough as it is my long held dream to own a winery (if I ever win the lottery!)