Thread: About to click submit - job title, zero points for languag etc, resubmit in 4 months time when it changes?

Default About to click submit - job title, zero points for languag etc, resubmit in 4 months time when it changes?

I'm at 120 points. I thought oil and gas would bring me to 140 but I guess that experience needs to be inside NZ.
    For reference folks, at the time of me writing this there are only 3 Growth areas - Biotech, creative & I.T (not oil & gas).

1) Oil and Gas/Earth Science Technician isn't listed on the website as a skill.

I thought my skill was on the skills shortage list. But now I look the closest I see is Geotechnical Engineer (fortunately also my previous job description before Earth Science Technician!) when I was expecting to find this:
    Code:
    Oil and Gas	Earth Science Technician (311412)	Bachelor of Science majoring in Earth Science AND a minimum of five years experience in the oil and gas industry	Central North Island, Wellington

So as far as I can see, my skill IS an "immediate shortage" but not in "long term shortage".

But I guess I can't put Geotech Engineer but technically that hasn't been my job title for the full time I have been here (no actual change in duties, it was just changed I believe to help the company with visas!). Plus I think the "Engineer" title requires assessment?

2) My points will increase from 120 to 130 in January next year as I get another years experience at work. Is there any harm in putting in an EOI now with 120 and putting another one in with 130 next year? - or editing? Or should I wait?

3) I have zero points for the following sections. Is that normal:

Code:
    	Character	 0	Yes	 
     	Health	 0	Yes	 
     	English Language Ability	 0	Yes	 
     	Skilled Employment	 0	Yes
    	Declaration for Person Assisting Applicant	 0	Yes
            Children	 0	Yes
    4) Can I boost my points by visiting New Zealand and doing a CPD(continuing professional development) qualification relevant to my job?

I see that in general there isn't much chance of getting accepted without having a job offer and generally there isn't much chance of a job offer without being in NZ. I can visit NZ regularly but only for 2-4 weeks at a time... it doesn't seem long enough...

You can put in your application under whatever general heading you can find on the list, which your qualifications and experience match (again, describing the duties and responsibilities, never mind what the 'label' was). It does not matter at all what your present job TITLE is - an employer can CALL a job whatever they like, although it may not convey anything much to outsiders, as there is no requirement that it does.

Quote Originally Posted by jago25_98 View Post
    I'm at 120 points. I thought oil and gas would bring me to 140 but I guess that experience needs to be inside NZ.
    For reference folks, at the time of me writing this there are only 3 Growth areas - Biotech, creative & I.T (not oil & gas).

1) Oil and Gas/Earth Science Technician isn't listed on the website as a skill.

I thought my skill was on the skills shortage list. But now I look the closest I see is Geotechnical Engineer (fortunately also my previous job description before Earth Science Technician!) when I was expecting to find this:
    Code:
    Oil and Gas	Earth Science Technician (311412)	Bachelor of Science majoring in Earth Science AND a minimum of five years experience in the oil and gas industry	Central North Island, Wellington

So as far as I can see, my skill IS an "immediate shortage" but not in "long term shortage".

But I guess I can't put Geotech Engineer but technically that hasn't been my job title for the full time I have been here (no actual change in duties, it was just changed I believe to help the company with visas!). Plus I think the "Engineer" title requires assessment?

A: Job Title does not really matter , you need to verify that your job description matches closely to chosen Skill Code.

2) My points will increase from 120 to 130 in January next year as I get another years experience at work. Is there any harm in putting in an EOI now with 120 and putting another one in with 130 next year? - or editing? Or should I wait?
    A: 120 points is good enough and have high chances of selection , waiting can make a difference & at the end you may get higher or lowerpoint , if you get lower points due to Age change - so it needs to be balanced and weighed carefully.
    You also risk the skill being removed from Immediate Sortage List.

3) I have zero points for the following sections. Is that normal:
    A: Yes, these are mandatory skills and no points are added.

Code:
    	Character	 0	Yes	 
     	Health	 0	Yes	 
     	English Language Ability	 0	Yes	 
     	Skilled Employment	 0	Yes
    	Declaration for Person Assisting Applicant	 0	Yes
            Children	 0	Yes
    4) Can I boost my points by visiting New Zealand and doing a CPD(continuing professional development) qualification relevant to my job?

A: Cannot answer this , some one in forum may be able to help. Good Luck
    I see that in general there isn't much chance of getting accepted without having a job offer and generally there isn't much chance of a job offer without being in NZ. I can visit NZ regularly but only for 2-4 weeks at a time... it doesn't seem long enough...
    Good Luck and Hope some one os able to help you with Q4.
    Note : I am not a professional adviser and my responses are my perosnal judgement on situation and may be incorrect.