Thread: Changing job with work visa

Default Changing job with work visa

Hello,

First of all I have been through the forums for various questions and your answers have helped me. Thanks much for that.

I would like to know if we can change jobs with work visa.

I have been through below link and I do understand we have to apply for a whole new visa if we change jobs, but I was wondering if it would be an issue getting new work visa or is this normal and nothing to worry about?
    http://www.dol.govt.nz/immigration/k...base/item/1187

Cheers

Hello and welcome.

There is a very careful check on the part of INZ to make sure that the job you want to transfer to is equally as skilled as the one you originally got the visa for, with the same skills being involved. They may also check the employer, to make sure the company is going to be viable for the life of the visa. Another issue can be if the skills lists have altered since you were originally granted the visa - if NZ has decided in the interim that they now have enough Kiwi scroggle-flangers, so scroggle-flanging is no longer on the LTSSL, they won't give another visa for it.

Thank you JandM.

Actually, I work in ICT. So, my role/skill is still present in LTSSL. Hence, I believe I will be able to secure a new work visa.Hope my understanding is right?

But I have my partner has a dependent work visa, I am unsure about this work visa and implications. I tried to search through forums for this but

You're right and ICT is still valid, as long as the job you want to change to is equally highly skilled.

I haven't seen a mention of formalities concerning the partner's dependent work visa if the main work visa changes. Guessing here - if you make a change, it could be just a matter of notifying INZ so they have an updated record of your situation in your partner's case-file. On the other hand, they might insist on a wholly new visa because yours is. The only thing to do is ask INZ, to be certain and safe. (And please report back!)

Sure, will do that. Thank you!

Update: I did manage to change to a new position I had to apply for an interim visitor visa while I was waiting for the offer from the organization I was joining and then applied for a work visa for myself and my OH.

Thanks for the update. It's good to hear that everything went all right for you both.